MKIV Lavender Grey

Hello Friends,

This YouTube clip was recently posted showing Lavender Grey quite well, I think.

Tim

1 Like

Geez, I wish my 'rent’s hadn’t sold their DHC…:persevere:

They seem to have borrowed the front hubcaps from a black car.

Yes, that’s rather an odd thing to do but then after the red DHC making it’s way from Perth to UAE it’s a minor travesty. :grin:

By the way, I had forgotten to post that I have been able to use an unrestored Lavender Grey bonnet from a MKIV which has given me the perfect colour reference. Additionally, when a layer of black paint was being removed from the boot hinges they revealed the original Lavender Grey which perfectly matched the colour of the bonnet. I’m very pleased. The painting will commence in a few weeks.

The first application of Lavender Grey matched from the original unrestored bonnet has been applied to the fire wall before the body was reattached to the chassis.
It’s not the best photo but I am delighted with the colour.

Peter, your description was so apposite!

Just to clarify that the top of the scuttle and sides are still in grey primer.

Ignore the coil as an original will be fitted in time along with much cleaning and polishing of the engine components.

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

Tim,

Did you do a spray out of your color mix? Or even have a piece of strainer, paint stick, etc. Could you possible share a small sample of it with me so I can compare to my mix?

Thanks, Jim Bolinger (Canton, Ohio, USA)

Hi Jim,

I can ask the spray painter to make a spray out for you. Just contact me directly and send me your address.

Cheers,
Tim

Hello Friends,

The car is making good progress now. Here are a few photo’s of the Lavender Grey - I love it!

Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim, lovely colour!!!
I should paint the wire wheels as well…

polti

I have searched for a 120 in this rare and lovely colour. An Arbour green 140 is also on my search list…
Peder

I did think about it but at this stage I’ll stay with the silver, which was an option. The Lavender Grey brake drums look very smart behind the silver.

Tim

1 Like

And another Mark IV being repainted back into its original Lavender Grey - a superb colour!

But be aware, photos on screen show colour differently from screen to screen, and from the actual in-the-flesh colour, so a guide only, and not a true match……………………
This photo to me, actually looks a little light - on my screen that is…

Hello Roger,

It’s a very hard colour to capture and it does change in various lights. You are right about it being a bit light on your screen, mine too. The first of my two photo’s is the closest to the colour but even that doesn’t capture it! I was very concerned as to what it was going to look like until it went on the car.

What are you going to do with your wire wheels?

I can see that you have fitted the Bryson’s fog lamp brackets which take them back, protecting them a little more from being bumped and broken. I’ll fit some at a later stage.

Best wishes,

Tim

Peder,

See attached………………

trophies

An October 1953 in its restored back to original Lavender Grey, the distinct ‘green’ base, being accentuated by the Suede Green interior, particularly evident in a Roadster.

I don’t have quick access to a good photo of ARBOR GREEN, but do in fact have a 3" x 3" piece of original XK140DHC steel from inside the headlamp nacelle in its original ARBOR Green colour.
Its a rich/bright aqua shade of colour, hard to describe but obvious when you see, but rare to find surviving these days - I have only seen a couple of roadsters still in this colour (cant quickly find photos), with the DHC that I got my sample from, was repainted BRG. Short-lived colour available in 1956 only for cars exported new to USA market, so obviously not popular/success being discontinued by 1957

1 Like

I meant to add that I am putting Suede Green back in the interior as per the original and it’s looking terrific! The photo, yet again, doesn’t do it justice. What colour are you reinstating - Red or Suede Green? Red does look nice as well.

Tim

1 Like

Not usually a big fan of green interiors: with that body color, it works.

Tim,

Not my Mark IV - it belongs to a friend in Adelaide, who I have been helping for over a year now, to put together a near-as-possible perfect authentic Tool Kit having started with virtually nothing.
But interior was and will stay Suede Green - I think, not 100% sure, but I agree Suede Green is by far my preference of interior colours that complement the grey-green tones of Lavender Grey.
Many don’t appreciate the huge variations you get in the simplistically called GREY colour, and William Lyons was the master at his selection of paint colours and complementary trim colours.

Hi Tim.
A couple of questions if I may. Where did you purchase the suede green interior from? Did it come as a complete kit with leather for seats, carpet etc.
Also on the bumpers do you know of a supplier for the caps on the end?
Regards, Graham.

Hi Graham,

Grant White is the name of the upholsterer who bought all the materials and custom made the door trims, front and rear seats. He will fit the carpets, headlining and Furflex when it’s time. He is well known and respected down here in Melbourne. He works from his garage at home in Rosanna.
grantwhite11@bigpond.com

Cheers,
Tim