MKV Body to Chassis Mounting Pads BD2067

Hello again,

Would anyone have a source for BD2067 Pad. Insulating, between Body and Chassis Frame ? I need 10 of them as mine have perished. I’m pretty sure that they are rubber. Are they the same on MKIV’s?

Cheers,

Tim

MkIV body is just bolted direct to chassis.

Peter

Hi Tim. Rubbers bought locally. Precision Hytec, Highett Vic tel 0395556366.
Size 53mm dia and 10ml thick.
I will be at register meeting this Thursday and bring samples.cheers Jeffery

1 Like

I bought a sheet of 1/2" rubber and a 2-1/4" OD x 2" ID hole saw and cut them out in a drill press. Then drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle.
A couple of places at the front of the cross needed two pads stacked up.
PICT0024a
There are also a couple of places where there was a 1/8" thick x 2" diameter fiber washer as well, and I saved the old ones and used them again.

1 Like

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the photo and information. How many rubber pads did you need?

Cheers,

Tim

I think it was 22. The book says 10 on page 60 and 4 on page 61 but that can’t be right. They probably goofed counting the 10 on the cross, and there must be some variation in the floor because I needed double at the front.
PICT0023
PICT0025

Thanks Rob!

Love the photo’s of four people carrying the body, wonderful.

I saw that 10 were specified on pg. 60 and 4 on pg.61 which I thought was odd?

Mine have deteriorated to the point where they need to be replaced. I hope it’s not too hard as I can’t separate the chassis from the body? I wish the previous owner had done this when the the body was off the chassis.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim

Hmm, might be tricky. I would remove the bumper valences first. Then loosen all the bolts, then jack up the body just a little bit, first on one side to do 10, then the other side to do the other 10, removing and replacing bolts one at a time. Remember the front wings are still connected to the radiator brace.

You can see my jovial self on the right side of the boot.
PICT0021
And here I am putting bolts in the floor. There are rubber washers under the steel washers.
PICT0040
PICT0041

Love the photo’s Rob. Someone just today said it was either mechanical or manpower to get the heavy jobs down. He used mechanical while you used manpower!

Also from Peter’s comment about the MKIV’s. I have found out that they had a layer of felt between the body and the chassis!

Finally, the mounting pads apparently are the same as those used on XK’s. Does anyone have a part number for them, probably XK120 as it was the same vintage as the MKV?

Cheers,
Tim

Given that the body is bolted rigidly to the chassis at three points down each side and the felt is not to stop drafts one can only assume that it was put there to retain moisture and promote corrosion.

Peter

Yes Peter, it does seem a better idea than practice. Perhaps the felt was impregnated with oil. I should try Holy Oil!:innocent:

It would seem that the MKV’s rubber mounts were a better idea given that they keep the body off the chassis (for a while).

Thank you for making me laugh as always.

Tim

I saw the felt fitted today at the body works and I must say that it does look like a potential weak point. It is a tension fitting so I will keep an eye on it and perhaps change it if it is looking grubby or worse still, damp. I asked about a rubber insert instead but was summarily told that it would squeak! Seriously, would a little Fish Oil have any affect on keeping the moisture away?

I was able to procure 30 suitable rubber mounts thanks to Jeffery Hill, who recommended a place in Highett, Melbourne. The owner was so helpful when I explained what they were for (or sorry for me?:wink:) as he sold them to me for only $30.00! It just goes to show that there are nice people still around.:smiley:
Cheers,
Tim

Sorry I didn’t respond to this sooner. No they are not the same. XK120 uses smaller diameter because the mounting is directly on the chassis rather than on side brackets like Mark V.
XK120%20body%20mounts%20001

However, there is a little known secret about the very early FHCs. They used Mark V mounts on the door sills. There is no record of it in the parts books, but it was discovered through our own XK forum.
XK120%20body%20mounts%20003
Later FHCs had aluminum blocks there.

Anyway glad to hear you got some locally.

Well, here’s an interesting one. One of the mounting bushes seem to have been cork! Has anyone encountered this before? It makes me rather glad that they are being replaced with good quality bushes.

Cheers,
Tim

Yes, mine had cork pads on the back crossbar near the corners where there were no bolt holes.
I didn’t see any sense in that so I used rubber pads everywhere.

Hi Rob,

The one show in the photo was taken from near the front of the car - you can see the Torsion Rod. Cork seems a very poor option for a structural pad? I’m wondering how many more will surface, and where, as the replacement continues. Anyway, and like you, all the Mounting Pads will be replaced with the high quality rubber and that will give me peace of mind.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim

If you are getting round washers cut out of rubber, And we do for mK IV/ S rad mounts and SS1 engine mounts , There is a place in Fairfield off Grange Rd , who punch them out very professionally. You tell them ID and OD and thickness and they do them while you wait. a little of the green folding, everybody’s happy and the cheapest parts you be getting for your MK IV/V. [Cheap as Chips as we say.]

1 Like

Hi Ed,

I had them made by a company in Highett. They made me 30 and only charged me $30, so yes, they have been some of the most cost effective parts for the car so far.
Thanks for thinking of me with your suggestion.

Cheers,

Tim

A further note!

The rubber mounts where they would contact the body were fitted with red fibrous washers. I guess this might have been to counter any squeaking noises from the rubber?

Cheers,
Tim

Yet another anomaly. Mine did not have any fiber washers at all, and the body had never been off the chassis before I did it. Mine is from April 1950. As I recall, yours is later, and yours had the body removed and remounted by someone else before you? Two possible reasons why they might be different. Perhaps if we did a couple hundred body-on-chassis operations like the factory boys we might come up with a variation or two that got past the inspectors. :grin:

Here are mine. The two on the left are actually pairs stuck together, so a total of 26 pads. The two on the right are the cork pads from the rear cross bar where there was no bolt. Looking more carefully I discover it had 10 made of cork, not 2.
The smaller washers were under the bolt heads along with steel washers.