MKV DHC & no Bermuda Bell

Hello friends,

Well this car popped up in my inbox and I nearly fainted! 100’000 GBP ($178’000 AUD) is the asking price. There are so many things wrong with the restoration, however I’ll leave it up to others to find the faults. I was concerned that for the price it didn’t even have a Bermuda Bell like Pekka’s car! :rofl:

1 Like

Geez, even my Jeepster has a Bermuda bell… :slight_smile:

You have a much more knowledgeable and discerning eye than I do, because from my side of the ocean, it looks like a nice car. But for that money? I don’t think so.

1 Like

It’s 640114, was on the auction block last year. Maybe somebody will add these new pix to the file on saloondata.
Windshield washer is of course not original, as none of them had it.
Fuel pump in the wrong place, should be on the chassis.
Some sort of electrical device on the right hand side of the radiator.
Wrong cap on the brake fluid reservoir.
The window winding handles look like those on my '38 SS, not my Mark V saloon.
Hubcaps lack paint. I don’t care for the cutouts in the rear skirts.
Rear window not correct, should be glass with chrome frame, but as I recall when we tried to identify them there were 2 or 3 different windows used.
Front suspension cranked too low.
At least they got the pram irons on right.

3 Likes

Hi Rob,

I was just taken a back by the price for such a car. It will be interesting to see if it sells? No doubt there are superb MKV DHC’s around which are worthy of a worthy price. I know of one such car here in Victoria which is finished in (Battleship?) Grey.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Nice DHC indeed, impossible to judge colour from a photo like that without references, could also be Birch Grey like mine was originally.

Cheers!

640092 was originally DOVE GREY but when restored initially back in 1992 - then winning the Australian National Concours outright (biggest Concours in Australia, once a year) - I was one of the judges - it was Cream… Went through an ‘interesting’ period after being sold soon after, until fortunately being acquired/rescued by current owner, who over a period of time fully re-restored it again, but this time back to its original DOVE GREY colour… as it remains today…
It’s a superb car, and a real credit to current owner, who maintains it in top concours condition, but its not a trailer queen - it is regularly driven and enjoyed on multiple runs/tours around country Victoria (where it lives) and into state capital Melbourne - and see attached photo of it in a central-west NSW motel on the tri-annual Classic Jaguar Rally in 2019…

Surely as good as it gets - concours condition, and a fully sorted regular driver - and for we parochial Australians, it is an Australian new Mark V - see BRYLAW (Melbourne) extra Lubrication Plate as per recent thread on these additional; plates… in Australian Concours we accept without debit, the cut down Chassis Plate and the added Brylaw plate (indeed if we could we would give bonus points :slight_smile: ), but the added Classic Autocraft plate was/is debited (the 1992 restoration company, so NOT original)

3 Likes

The sad part is these cars will all outlive us. We are but another chapter in their lives.

Yes, we are mere caretakers and protectors until we pass it on or until we pass on.

Hi Roger,

And thank you, very interesting indeed and Dove Grey is a colour we see nowadays very rarely. Also your and Tim’s photo well show how much the appearance of these grey paints can vary according to lighting, surroundings and cameras. :slight_smile:

Funny that you would say ”Cream” as AFAIK the white Domolac/Zofelac cellulose paint usec on Mark V’s was at the time called ”Ivory” in all brochures etc. Of course I know that the same paint used on XK120’s, like #670202 was called ”Cream”.

Cheers!

Pekka, yes you are correct in 1945 to Nov 1952 when Jaguar was using British Domolac cellulose based paints, the only ‘white’ colour offered was called IVORY (for marketing purposes/brochures etc), and indeed also more correctly technically by British Domolac who called this colour IVORY code X.6427, so the code was what mattered, defining exact shade of white by a repeatable paint formula.

From Nov 1952 onwards, thus later XK120s/Mark VIIs Jaguar changed to a totally new supplier Pinchin Johnson, of the latest improved SYNTHETIC ENAMELS and indeed from a Marketing perspective the sole ‘white’ colour available was now referred to as being CREAM, albeit technically for accuracy the paint manufacturer called this colour OLD ENGLISH WHITE J.863 (the J denoting special shade for Jaguar). Now you have to wonder why the Marketing people changed from IVORY to CREAM, given that to most casual observers the shade of white was very similar, if not to most the same, so I suspect more a case of concerns of paint touch ups, not mixing Synthetic Enamel and Cellulose enamels. Interestingly in Australia, post 1952, Brylaws (HQ in Melbourne) referred to CREAM, and major Dealership Brylaws (in Sydney) referred to IVORY still…
If you go back to prewar, when SS Jaguar offered one only ‘white’ colour in their standard range, for marketing and technical code accuracy for 1938-9MY they offered IVORY code D.7267 - as made/supplied by British Domolac, but in 1937-8MY the one only ‘white’ colour offered was CREAM code D.1267.

So was D.7267 a typo, or maybe some minor chemistry/shade change from D.1267, and how good a match was the Mark IV/V IVORY X.6427

As far as 640092 was concerned, it was of course originally restored/repainted in 1982, and then called CREAM, but who knows exactly what paint was then used, and how accurate or otherwise was the colour match to the original IVORY Cellulose Enamel…

As we all know colour matching is far from an exact science, and we have all seen rows of Jaguars all different shades of say GREEN or in this case WHITE, all claiming to be correct factory BRG or IVORY/CREAM/OLD ENGLISH WHITE - before we concern ourselves with all the MGs and Aston Martins etc also claiming to be BRG, although not originally the same shade Green as Jaguar anyway…

1 Like

My Jan 1938 car, original Ivory
IMG_20191212_151557146

The bonnet and boot lid don’t quite match, possibly because the boot lid was painted over with black at one point.

1 Like