MKV Exhaust System 1951 3.5L

Hello friends,

Would anyone be able to send me or post a photo of the exhaust system for my 3.5L MKV please? The system which was on the the car was not original and I am replacing it with an original silencer. The part I can’t envisage, even with the schematic drawing DZ from the Parts Catalogue, is how it goes from the rear of the silencer to the rear of the car over the top of the diff housing?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,

My understanding is it doesnt go over the rear axle, but rather is slung underneath.
http://www.saloondata.com/gallery/zoom/?id=370530
or
bigq
or

Cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon.

There are a few things needing to be done before it can be registered. Broken weld in the chassis. Body / Chassis rubber mounting pads replaced. Two brake hoses. Master Cylinder overhaul.

On it goes!!:weary:

Cheers

Tim

Jon’s pictures are correct, under the axle, with a couple of straight angle cut welded turns, which look rather amateurish in my opinion. Mandrel formed elbows would have looked nicer. But OC that I am, that’s the way I restored mine.

Here are a few photo’s of the rebuilt exhaust system. I’m very happy with their work (Temby Motors at Eltham, Melbourne)!

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

Jon
the muffler looks very like the style on my old MK VII. Not surprising I suppose as that end under car car was very similar. I created the big singe muffler by welding 2 shorter ones together