MKV Footwell Vent Screen

Hello again,

Has anyone ever fitted Footwell Vent Screens on their MKV? I saw these on an XK150 and thought that it would be a sensible item to fit in order to discourage insects and the like finding their way into the cabin of the car while driving along.
6D4C40DD-A912-44A9-8009-24A435F4F29E_4_5005_c
Cheers,
Tim

HI,

No, but it seems like a good idea, for the Saloons at least. It should be very easy to install something on the back of the scuttle side trim. We basically never use the footwell or scuttle vents, but that is probably because we have a DHC with plenty of ventilation with the hood down. :smiley:

1 Like

Also, the fact you live near the Arctic Circle might have an effect…:grimacing:

I think that a screen on the vent-flap would be preferable rather than on the inside as insects and the like would accumulate in the cavity.

We need to have the vent-flaps open on the MKV’s most days (as well as the windows and quarter windows) because of the warmer weather.

I’ll persist with the project.

Cheers,
Tim

Nope, far from it! :smiley: Well, at least 850km (ca. 500+ miles)

I am sure that if we had a Saloon we’d use the footwell vents all the time in the summer.

I was very thankful that the S1 2+2 already had those fresh air vents to the footwells, AND we had the gigantic Webasto roof. Even here an E-type can be a very hot vehicle in the summer, almost like a sauna with the hot stove right next to the right foot of the driver.

Even the MKV floor and firewall gets warm from driving. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi,

if you fit new seals for the vent openings you could fit a moskito screen under the seal, and just glue them to the body and the the seals on top of the screen. That should work and be almost invisible.

I have done that to the fresh air intake for every E-type heater I have ever had, also keeps the small debris like birch seeds etc out of the scuttle cavities.

Cheers!

I guess the only issue with that would be that the sprung arm of the Vent Flaps needs to pass through the mesh. Having the brass screen as in the earlier photo I posted from the XK150 has it attached to the Flap, meaning that it would fold into recess when the Flap was closed. That, and it’s more resilient than mosquito wire.

Cheers,
Tim :fox_face:

Hi Tim,

Yes, that’s true, the arm would eventually bend and deform the mesh so it might not look that good.

Of course if you turn this into a project you could fabricate a frame that would fit the opening and be attached to the vent lid arm so it seats into the opening when fully opened. Cheers!

I believe that that is what is shown in the photo in my first post.

6D4C40DD-A912-44A9-8009-24A435F4F29E_4_5005_c

I’ll ask my panel man what he thinks. Naturally it doesn’t have to be made of brass.

Cheers,
Tim