MKV Rear Axles / Diff's

Would anyone know if both the Sailsbury or the ENV Rear Axles were fitted to 1951 model 3 1/2 L cars? Nothing in the Parts Manual would seem to indicate a change-over from Salisbury to ENV?

Cheers,

Tim

I’ve never come across any record of it. Nor with XK120 which also used both brands randomly. I think both were used intermittently as supplies came in from the two vendors.

Thanks for the message Rob.

My car is a February 1951 car, so I had assumed the ENV should have been fitted but that seems not to have been the case. Did Jaguar use either on subsequent models with the introduction of the XK engines? Were there any advantages or disadvantages between the two?

Cheers,
Tim

The ENV seems to have stopped about '52 and was only used on Mark V and XK120, not Mark VII at all. My Nov '51 XK120 has an ENV.

Salisbury type 2HA was used on Mark V, XK120 and early Mark VII. It has been discussed on the XK forum and I recall there was some idea that Studebakers and Ford trucks used it. I’m not aware of any significant advantages between this and ENV.

Then about '52 or '53 they changed to type 4HA for later XK120 and Mark VII and onward. This one is still made and known as the Dana 44, used in a lot of Jeeps, so you can still get parts for it.

I believe the ENV is related to Eaton Corp. which is known for truck axles, so it may be possible to search for American cars that used it.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for all that very helpful information, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Tim