MKV Rear Springs

Hi,

I saw an offer on SNGB website and wondered in the MK VII rear springs would be compatible with MKV?

The chassis is essentially the same, but I am afraid the rear springs are somewhat different and MKVII rear springs would not work in a MKV, right? I think the MKVII, MKVII M, MK VIII and MK IX are all heavier cars than the MKV and that part of the chassis is probably somewhat different, no?

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 647194
Fin.

PS. Oh, forgot the part numbers:

MKV: C3103/A
MKVII: C13109/1

I know on the XK list , and people here complain that repro springs are too stiff. i suspect that it is to do with un-avaiabilityof the correct thickness spring steel i the correct thickness. To this end recently had to make new front springs for my new SS, so I bought the untempered spring material [ Meteric size] and had it ground [ wet] back to the correct gauge and them made into main leaves. Worked well it seems…

Is it correct the leaves on prewar and Mk IV’s were lead coated for self lubrication?
Did this somehow change at Mk V / XK120 where they then have leather gaiters with a grease nipple?
I also found a date stamp on the bottom leaf yesterday.
Regards, Jordy.

The specs I have for SS100 springs say lead coatd… lubricant or corrosion resistance ? or both? Gaiters were offered pre wa as an option , The Tourer Ivan recently got still had the rear ones.I have a suplyof the "Quickfit"brass oval plates that were listed in the SS sales brochure
The gaiters aren’t too hard to make and the original hooks and leather laces are still available retail.

Mark VII did not use C.3103A, although they used four higher part numbers.

The Mark V springs are 9 leaves, made of 7/32" x 1-3/4" (0.219 x 1.75) spring steel.

If yours are sagging low, you could take them apart and re-arch each leaf back to the specification given in the Service Manual, 6-3/4" free camber. I did that with my XK120 springs by setting them across two blocks of wood and jumping on them until they were the right arch.

If they are broken, you could try a USA based spring maker such as Zenith in Duluth Minnesota.
http://www.zenithspring.com/leaf_springs.html
They could make new leaves. Tapered springs are unusual here, so you might have to do the tapering yourself on a grinder.

LOoking at the back of th e garage aresome mK VII spring leaves, I boughtthem years ago asa sourceof Imperial sprinng steel. They have the tapered ends
If you let me know what length and thickness you need , I can check and you can have the leaf free , just postage

Jones springs located in Darlaston W Midlands have all the specs for our cars.
Spring leaf thickness may be special order. Refurbishment of your springs, is
possible perhaps. Contact sales@jones-springs.co.uk
Phone 0044 (0)1215687575.
After all, this area of England is where our cars /parts were made.