MKV Roll Bar Bushes

Hello again,

I have bought some conical bushes C.3050 which fit into the ends of the “Front Anti-Roll Bar Link, Part No. C.3049” but they are very hard and made of some kind of neoprene, whereas the originals seemed to have some “give” in them. I’m concerned that would put undue stress on the anti roll bar. Have others had experiences with these?

Cheers,
Tim

The originals could be soft due to age and environmental conditions.
The same parts are used on XK120/140/150 and do not seem to be a concern on the XK forum, as they are never mentioned. Some circuit track racers use polyurethane bushings, but the feeling for street use seems to be in favor of rubber.

Hi Rob,

Mine came as “Standard” from Barretts and are just too hard. Fortunately the old ones are in good shape so I will refit those.

Cheers,

Tim

One would think Barratts would get the right durometer spec on their rubber.
Are you having trouble compressing them and fitting the split cotter pin in them? I use two C-clamps on the washers.

Changing mine about ten years ago, I recall a significant difference in the hardness of the softer 50 year old parts and the new ones. The old ones seemed like decayed, softened rubber, the new ones have been fine. Can’t say exactly what those specific ones improved since I did a lot of the front suspension rubber at once. All the new bits were much stiffer than the 50 year old bits. Steering quite improved when done and aligned. Rob’s trick of compression C-clamps was essential here and there. No loose fits.

Hi Roger & Rob,

Yes, the originals (simply couldn’t use the new ones) needed to be compressed back into place before fitting the split pin. I guess that shows that the old ones are okay and had been replaced recently? As for the control arm bushes (originals ‘shot’) they are the new “uprated” polyurethane ones, again from Barretts. The internal diameter of the new ones (both new and originals have the metal sleeve) is 0.3mm smaller than the originals! They will need to be reamed out to fit. I’m having a poor run with the reproduced items of late not fitting and needing to be modified to fit. Is that what one calls a “custom fit”? - LOL!
Cheers,
Tim