MKX 420G wood question

In the MKX and 420G, above the front windscreen, and behind the sunvisors, are two long narrow strips of walnut veneered timber

They are attached by chrome screws.

Can anyone advise whether they have the recessed eyelets, similar to the door capping screws, or just screws?

mine have been waiting (at least) 17yrs to be fitted, might as well get it right

Judging by my 1965 3.8S the wood pieces at the top of the windscreen are held in place with the slot headed chrome screws but no recessed eyelet as are used on the door cappings.

Yes, the screws are seated in eyelets

According to the parts list, they have BD.543/1 cup washers.

Are you sure they are veneered? I thought they were just straight grain, like the S and 420.

Thx Peder

my 420G has walnut burl veneer, they came with the car, but NOT the sunvisors & metal support structure, so I obtained them from a wreckers many years ago, but he did not have those timbers, in the 2 cars I have wrecked, those timbers were missing or completely beyond salvation, and as they are long, repair with walnut veneer would be expensive, as it is I have had to do a fair bit of delicate work to make mine acceptable.

will post up pics when finished, plus complete rebuild of sunvisors

This is an old post, but I’m wondering if you did rebuild your sunvisors, and what you used. I’m closing in on completing the headliner replacement on my Mk10 (what a bastard of a job to do the rear window), and the visor is missing on one side, in sorry shape on the other, in need of a rebuild. I’m bothered by the tiny metal flange on the rod relative to the size of the visor - seems like a setup for failure. Also, the spring mechanism looks like it will be a challenge to get back together in a functional way. I’m considering building the new flat panels out of fiberglass. Anyways, any experience you can share is appreciated. I’ll post my results when they happen.

I did rebuild them and the results were good.

thought I did a post with pictures, but cannot find it

had to virtually remake them, including the covers and board, but I did re-use the original metal parts

I will search around and look at what I did

one of mine was too heavy, but it doesnt drop down, so that is pleasing, I made the 2nd one lighter

agree the back section was an absolute nightmare, someone else remade that back section after me, and did a better job, he had pictures and a good description

Thank you - I look forward to seeing those. Out of town for a week, but hope to finish up on return. Myheadliner is coming out nicely, but it’s quite a struggle, much harder than I anticipated. and very time consuming. I’ve done several bow style headliners, and thought this one would be easier - not so. Part of my problem is that I happen to have a large piece of gorgeous wool cloth headliner that came to me with another project. While ultraplush, it’s quite a lot heavier than the original fabric, and that causes problems. To anyone contemplating this project, I recommend using original style material, and think about where Velcro makes more sense than the original fasteners.

ok…apparently I cant spell properly :grinning:

Sun vizor rebuild 420G - Saloons - Jag-lovers Forums

Hey, Tony, I finished the headliner and visors. I’m pleased with the result and will post photos in a separate thread. Thanks for your advice.