Mobeck V12 engine management conversion

The in-period, Zytek ECU was state of the art in the 1990s. You can add the Metro 6R4 rally car, and some other Ford vehicles (ill fated RS200 I think) to the above list.

I’ve spoken to the guys who run the XJR V12 Le Mans cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, it’s the exact same unit as in my road car. But they were a bit shy of telling me how they changed any of the mapping settings without the Toshiba laptop and special interface cable specified in the Jaguar support manuals.

Also, any system I choose to replace the original with doesn’t have to look fancy or inconsipuous, it just has to work. Oh, and most important, I need to be able to configure the tuning settings myself.

We were not talking about Zytek systems.

Here is the final dynograph of the new V12 efi systemcomparedto the std engine
Thick lines for the std 5.3 HE. Yes it was ok, I had worked on it a year to get it 100% good.
And the thin line is the final pull I did two days ago, with my new airfilter inlets and the New V12 EFI
And that white 1985 VDP with everything else original does 0-100KMH in 6.1 sec now…

2 Likes

On a 92 that is a 5.3, why could I not install your pre ‘88 system and just forget all about the sensors?

Right now I am not 100% shure witch distributor you have (its late and my head is full)
But if I can extract a resonable signal and mec advance curve from your distributor I can do it for you.
It should be ok.
I will look into it in a week, now off to do some holiday stuff and such. Send me an email ole.martin@mobeck.com and I will get to it.

Ole M

They didn’t change the map settings without the laptop and interface box. Race teams were given a special 5 pin connector and a program for rewriting their software, Dealers never got this so they couldn’t “accidentally” play with the settings.
I have both the diagnostic software and 4 pin connector (Dealer) and one of the handful of programming kits with unique Zytek software and a 5 pin connector (factory and race teams only). That’s how they modified their maps.

1 Like

Here is the dyno screen and the whole sweep up to 6100 rpm

2 Likes

Very cool! I might have missed it but are you planning on making a version of this that is compatible with a 5.3L Marelli ignition car? aka 1989 and up?

Does this car have your modified air intake? Thanks.

This looks good, Ole ! You mention improved fuel consumption and 1.25L per 100km. This seems to be around 22.5 miles per gallon (Imperial, not US galls), which must be a big improvement on the original, unless this is at a constant 50 mph ! Do you have any other figures? Thank you.

If you are worried about the fuel consumption of a 5.3L V12, you’ve probably bought the wrong car :grinning:

You would have saved a whole load of money due to the recent drop in petrol prices, go and enjoy it.

Hi John, yes this graph is with the sport intake and fan delete.

Anthony
I think a completely well original HE V12 use almost the same when everything is correct. But it never is, if you get a problem with a solenoid, vacumline or just the temp switch you end up using 2 litres instead of 1.25.
But now with this kit everything is ok and alittle more, and you get an option with or without O2 sensor. This consumption was with the sensor. The kit without I have ritchened about 4% to be shure you dont get to lean, and so you will use a little more, but that is really not much.
But the problem with the Jag and its 3 speed auto is that it has no lockup in the converter. The stallspeed id about 2200-2300 rpm. And if you roll along the street at a lower rpm than that you dont get any good mileage anyway. But 2300 rpm is well above the speed limits in Norway so its a bit difficoult to measure correct. This test was on a wery swisty contryroad with lots of turns and hills, so the speed was between 70-90 km/h witch is a bit low for a Jaguar like this. But it gives a figure I can tell and be comfortable it is doable in places with better roads. Ole mobeck

I am working on that right now.
You will need some extra parts, they are in production.
You will see it on the website www.mobeck.com
And it will be publiched on my Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/MobeckTekniske

1 Like

John
The Marelli Distributor is a completely different thing than the pre 88 type. You have nothing in there exept dual store rotor. But you have a handy crank position sensor in fron of you engine I can use, but the original triggerwheel is no good so right now I am making a new triggerwheel for this engine.
The I can use two wastespark 6er coil packs instead of the distributor. Then you will have a great system.
So, I am working on it right now.

2 Likes

Awesome! Any idea how much of a price increase it will be for the Marelli unit?

Hi
I’m currently working on an XJR15 engine. The customer wants to make it distributorless. The guys at Emerald Ignition in the uk, Have said they will supply me with a complete system including ECU, injectors, sensors lambdas toothed trigger wheel damper, throttle potentiometer 2 six cyl coil packs etc.
I’ve already fitted this system to a 5.3l v12 which is in a Ferrari 250GTO replica. We set up basic parameters through a laptop. Needs fine tuning on RR when car is complete.
Can you see any reason why this MIGHT not work on the XJR15 engine which is basically a 6.0Litre Jaguar V12?

I would say there are three (common) 6.0L Jaguar V12s. The TWR built version that you have with the Zytek ECU and Lucas distributor, as was also fitted to the XJR-S. The official Jaguar 6.0L which was a development of the Marelli 5.3L and fitted to the XJS. And the re-engineered 6.0L fitted to the X300 based saloon with a Nippondenso ECU and a distributorless set of coil packs.

I don’t think it impossible that you could replace the Zytek with the Emerald ECU as long as you have the set up software and a lot of time on your hands. But, a brief skim through the XJR-15 Wikipedia entry says that it has a fly-by-wire throttle. If that is true, then you would need to figure out how closely coupled that system is to the ECU, or whether it just a pedal->motor->linkage set up that would then manually actuate the throttle butterflies and the TPS.

My V12 kit can run a E-Throttle if you want, also twin 6 pack of coils if you dfont want the distributor. That will be a custom system, but I am working on a trigger kit for this now.

I would say, the more thing you add, like E-throttle and such the more time wou will spend setting it up. Lets say I spent 2 days on the dyno and then 2 weeks on the road to make a nice map I copuld serr all over, with all coldstart systems, fuelcut, idle parameters and such funtion at all temperatures. Then maybe these two weeks was found over 5 months time to be able to do coldstarts and idle adjustemnts in different temperatures. And if you add a E-throttle you are on it again. But a E-throttle parameter setup for full power (100%) is done in a sec.
Dont complicate everything…

Ole M

Hi Cosmo
Thanks a lot for that. I’ve only got the engine. I’ll need to investigate the rest of the wiring set up. But think it should work. I’m going to fit their throttle potentiometer and crank trigger wheel sensor.
Best regards
Nigel Boycott