Modern equivalent

The TD has a non-Lucas fuel gage that always works. It’s a dipstick in the gas tank. LOL

Um…hah???

Have to agree on the early Z cars. Had more than my share, and they got the formula right. May just pick a nice one up.

I know…:grimacing:

No one has mentioned the Lotus Evora GT.

I have not yet driven one, but from what I read, it is a stellar driver’s car with low build volume and a manual transmission. And it’s British.

The 718 Cayman GT4 is a close second with great styling and a manual transmission.

Sadly, the Corvette, lacking a manual transmission, doesn’t get invited to the party.

Of course, when my E-Type runs again (any year now:-) I may fall in love all over again.

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

1 Like

Or, a BMW Z8: I would not turn one down.

There’s nothing like hard core North American. It doesn’t have any modern conveniences but I just drive it for fun. The radio is off and the Corsa exhaust is full on.

1 Like

…but with JUST as many factory-installed tin worm larvae as the Jag, without the benefit of an under-chassis rust prevention system.

:grimacing:

I hate to say it but I think the new corvettes and Mustangs would come to mind. Great performance yet cheaper than the average super cars like ferraris, Astons etc. When the E-type was launched it offered the best performance but at half the price of a Ferrari, Aston etc.

Pretty much any decent car these days offers equal or better performance but it s not just about performance. It s about the experience, the sound, the feedback. The f-type is a great car but overloaded with technology and frankly the sound is borderline obnoxious…

Honestly there isn’t anything right now that would make me want to sell the E. Driving is about the experience. My second favorite car, barely second, is our 81 GTV6. It s a drivers car… not quite as fast as the E but still so much fun. The Busso V6 is a masterpiece of engine design on the same level as the XK or V12.

A few weeks ago we got an 07 BMW 335i hardtop convertible . I would not have looked for one but you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth :). 300hp and 0-60 in 5.6 secs. Fast, grippy but it doesn’t mean anything as it s not as fun as the E or the GTV6. Any fool can drive that thing fast… it s just not a drivers car. Too bland. Boring styling.

Has anyone tried out a new Fiat 124 or Miata ? I have wondered how they would compare to an E but have not been to test drive either one. If someone told me I had to buy a new car today one of these is what I would go try first. I like the styling of the Fiat better than the Miata but I think I saw where the Fiat was being discontinued at least in the USA.

David
68 E-type FHC

I like the looks of the Fiat over the Miata, because of the additional 5 inches. However they’re doing the same thing on it, that they did on the Chrysler Crossfire: no matter what color the car, is the windshield frame is stainless steel and on a dark car, I think that just looks awful.

Hated the roadster: LOVE the coupe!

Got to drive an early one, at the short-lived race course, at the old Stapleton airport. I was an instructor, and would train others in their own cars.

The person who had the Viper had bought it only recently, and had never had it on a track: Stapleton had very long straights.

We took a couple of laps, as I explained techniques to use, then I opened it up.

At an indicated 180, while I’m chatting to the owner, I looked over, and all the color had drained from their face.

:smirk:

1 Like

Modern? The Aston used, almost for sure a candidate. So many models of these, some very expensive, others not so super costly.
From the era, a C2 Corvette - completely different styling concept, but unique, just like an E-type. Slightly cheaper for one in the same condition. Similar owner experience, as we now have one. Tigers are kind of plain and give you nothing except a big cabin and a simple engine.
“Modern”? think you need to go used to the slightly more primitive era and lower cost.

1 Like

Moss Motors posted this on Facebook the other day: How the Jaguar E-Type Influenced the FD Mazda RX-7

Interesting for me as I’ve had a 3rd gen RX7 since 96. Carma? Not really like an E Type, 2,800lbs, revs to 7500, very quick, and I’m pretty sure the factory suspension was designed by Rupp Go-Karts out of Ohio. Styling-wise not a straight body line between them. However, they’re both lots of fun to drive and wrench on.

2 Likes