Modern Paint Code for 1952 Jaguar XK120 Cream

The XK120 prior to late 1952 was available in a paint colour referred to as “cream”. It appears to be very close to the later “old English white” but just a bit “creamier” and not quite as white. I am wondering if anyone has managed to find a modern paint code for this early XK120 colour?

Would that be the same as Ivory?
These people have a '48-52 Jaguar color chart and formulas.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/
Click their Auto Color Library.
They did some Gunmetal lacquer for me.

Thanks Rob – I think that well may be the colour! Looks right – will contact Jimmy Chips and enquire. I have an E-Type that I am looking to do in Gunmetal. Did you find a shade that worked for you from TCP?

Near as I can tell it is a good match for the '48-52 Gunmetal.
Here is a wing I shot yesterday and rubbed and polished today just as a test.

I’m not sure but I think the '48-52 Gunmetal is not exactly the same as the Gunmetal of the E-Type era.
I find Gunmetal is a tricky color to spray; you stir it up and it wants to separate really fast like in seconds, and you need light coats and a steady gun hand or it will turn out splotchy.

1 Like

Rob – are you doing a MKV perchance? I too recall that the gunmetal of that period is very different than the opalescent gunmetal grey used on E-Types from 1961 through 1964.

Yes, its a Mark V.
PICT0016

Looking very good! I have a 1951 Mark V that is rust free, awaiting the same treatment!

Geoff

Geoffrey, did you find the cream you were after?
I’m after the same color.

Coming along nicely!

Hi – try this link. They are in California and claim to have a proper code for the early 1950 Jaguar cream. http://www.tcpglobal.com/

Further to my last email, if the folks in California do come up with a code for you please let me know what it is? I have not yet pursued it with them, but was told that they would be able to determine the proper color.

They do not show a cream on the color chart for Jags. The closest they show is Ivory. I may order a pint just to see. I’ve used tcp before, quite good to work with.

See f you can find a Ford Courier color, name escapes me, that is a true cream.

I used it to paint the Auburn.

Ivory was the name of the color in the early 1950s, then changed to Old English White later on for the 120. Ivory was a yellow cream color that was richer than Old English White. Keep me posted please? Would love to get a picture of something sprayed with tcp’s “ivory”.

Thanks

I am not opposed to using new colors. I used 2014 Chrysler Velvet Red (a Kandy color) on my MGA. Despite it being a color people see in parking lots all over the place, I’m constantly complimented on the color. It’s all in the context in which it’s being viewed I guess.

1 Like

On order. I’ll give you a free peek.

Mitchell - did you manage to get something painted in TCP’s “ivory” after all?

Yes, I PM’d it to you… here it is compared to my Primose E. I’m not in any way sure why this was ever called Ivory. It doesn’t look like Ivory in the chart or in person. TCP’s chart is in a post above.

I knew it had quite a yellow tint but did not know it would be that dark a yellow. I agree with you that it is a bit to yellow to really be called Ivory. Thanks so much for sharing this info and these images. Much appreciated!!