Modern painting close to pastel blue metallic

Hello, Solvent-based paints are prohibited in France. So, I’m looking for a solution with a modern paint close to pastel blue metallic. Do you know a color code or a recent car paint that is similar? Thank you very much. Alban XK FHC 1952

These are extracts from previous posts on this forum:-

1. This is the RM code from Urs Schmid’s book:

Colour Base (RM) Pastel blue metallic
    BC020 95.0 gr
    BC101 201.0 gr
    BC105 254.0 gr
    BC140 744.0 gr
    BC171 897.0 gr
    BC250 942.0 gr
    BC406 977.0 gr
    BC510 1000.0 gr

2. GLASURIT paint and the Glasurit formula was to use their standard colour
    MS280 plus add 20ml (by volume) of WHITE per 500ml.
    The paint was from PPG France.
    The reference of this colors in the PPG files is:
    Jaguar*0025 pastel blue PPG D803E1.
    It’s an old thread and I don’t know if Glasurit is water based.

3. Suzuki 23F April blue 1984/1989
    Manufacturer ‎AF Designs
    Brand ‎Alex Flittner Designs
    Model ‎BC-SP_1K-KL_Suzuki-23F
    Manufacturer reference ‎BC-SP_1K-KL_Suzuki-23F
    Manufacturer part number ‎BC-SP_1K-KL_Suzuki-23F

Well it’s a start.
Get swatches made up and see which one you like best that’s nearest.

Hello, Thank you for your response and for looking through old posts. This color is a real difficulty because it was only applied between 1949 and the end of 1952. Many people confuse it with the non-metallic color and suddenly However these two colors are really different I will study the Color Base (RM) Pastel solution blue metallic The Glasurite solution corresponds to the non-metallic color It seems that professional restorers in England know the solution? have a nice day alban

What I had said on a previous forum entry was:
“Find the nearest match of the paint possibilities that your paint shop provides, get a match from a paint shop that does RM codes, see if there are any panels on your car to make a match eg, inside doors, under boot lid, inside of wheels. Then compare them all and choose the one you like best. You are not going to pull up at the traffic lights beside a car with original pastel blue metallic!”
I did this and liked the Suzuki one best and it is much admired. The car was judged by expert peers at the JDC Annual Concours in the UK last year and won “Best XK120”. I did have to explain about how I arrived at that shade of colour and it was not challenged.

1 Like

Isn’t that Twilight Blue Metallic?
Here is Pastel Blue Metallic.

1 Like

Perfect match to original or not, those two are both gorgeous. A completely unbiased opinion from a FHC owner.

this is more twilight blue my 120 660999 was the first Jaguar painted this colour and had light blue trim

Have a look in Urs Schmid’s Vol 2 page 184. The variations are enormous due to printing and photography. I don’t think there was a twighlight blue metallic but stand to be corrected. In my head the term “metallic” was retrospectively applied to the pastel colours after the move to Browns Lane when the paint system changed but pastel colours continued (but different due to the different paint used).
Registration J2458 above is pastel blue metallic. Rob’s photo above is so different but equally nice! It looks grey to me, which is where photography can be so misleading.

This is my alloy120 in pastel blue metallic supplied by TCP Global in San Diego.

1 Like

Pastel Green Metallic and Pastel Blue Metallic are on the 1948 sales brochure. For some unknown reason with the other metallics (Silver, Gunmetal and Bronze) they chose not to mention the word metallic, perhaps because it was obvious.

Twilight Blue Metallic came along later, I think in late 1950 or the first quarter of 1951. It is a darker or more medium shade of blue.

All the metallics were deleted when they changed from nitro-cellulose to synthetic enamel paint in late 1952. From then on there was pastel green and pastel blue without the word metallic.

Carl Hanson did a lot of research to get the pastel blue metallic right on 679012. The blue does indeed sometimes look like silver in some photos, but notice in the photo above that it is next to a silver car.

Here is a gas tank door and hinge from a Mark V in original pastel blue metallic.

1 Like

thank you for all your comments. So I know which shade of color to choose. It is this color in PJ that seems to be both “beautiful/cheerful/modern” and close to the original. What do you think ? Now you have to find the formulation at a paint manufacturer