Modified XJ12 Options

Not the words my SiL and I used.

I’ll be prepping to pull the engine over the next month! I’ll post pictures and any help will be greatly appreciated! Jkeeper, I’m in British Columbia, Canada.

Justin,
I posted regularly on this list from December 2018 to May 2019, and with lots of pictures, when I did an engine transplant in one of my Series III XJ6s. Search the archives for “Engine Transplant 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas” and you will see how I removed both engines, restored the engine bay to as new condition, built up the replacement engine in my engine test stand, installed the replacement engine, and then dealt with a variety of issues as I returned the car to concours condition. It was a Series III XJ6 not an XJ12 (although I own one of those) but I think much of what I posted about will be of interest to you.

Paul

Thank you Paul! I’ve actually already bookmarked your thread and have been reading through :+1::+1: Aristides also had a thread about an alternator modification that I’ve boomarked and will do once the engine is out! These forums help an amateur like me alot lol! I dont know if I’ve mentioned but this is my first rebuild and engine pull. Alot of firsts actually

To be honest, I’m not really sure if I should create new threads or just utilize this one as my journey to getting this beautiful jag back up and cruising. If everyone is okay with it I will post here as I go and obviously continue reading everyone’s adventures around the site.

1 Like

By all means, Justin,

do create new specific threads for the sake of everyone following you as our wandering musings will be completely worthless unless they can be found later on. “Modified XJ12 options” is about as specific as “Problems of keeping and maintaining old British luxury sedans”.

We’re all enjoying the conversation for the sake of exchange and for pleasure, for sure, nonetheless there are lots of people out there wondering whether an XJ12 can be upgraded to a later 6.0 litre engine or just the XJS anti roll bars or whatever ideas you might develop.

So, just create new topics whenever any question pops up - it won’t hurt;-)

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Thank you Jochen, that makes alot of sense in helping others when searching. I will start a new thread showing everything I’ve done once the engine is out.

Finally lol

and let the fun begin!
Keep us posted.

Saved a bit of money on a stand lol. Hopefully this doesn’t stress anyone out. Will be modifying it more before I start working on the engine. Just need to give the crane back. :point_right::point_right: engine stand mod :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Nope, I just did something just as sketchy if not worse, I like yours better!
No pictures but imagine completely disassembling a 4.2 block on 3 wooden blocks. Figured that without crankshaft and flywheel it would be easier to carry, accomplished that.
Look at it this way, you connected all three feet lol. You can run yours on that.

1 Like

Hermes meets Pythagoras: The crane on the hypotenuse is equal to the engine on the other two sides. Simples.

2 Likes

Pete nails it:

everything that helps is good. No reason to complain so far.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Having trouble with removing the valve springs. Working alot of ot right now so I am hoping anyone can point me in a direction in which I can use a general compressor to remove them

Compressors comes in a variety of guises, Justin - to suit the span of the head and the valves, including valve angles. A ‘general’ compressor should work - if it is big enough. The sole purpose of the ‘compressor’ is to compress the springs to remove and refit the split cotters on the valve stem - without bending the valves against the work bench. The problem is the strength of the springs - which require some leverage.

What is the problem you with the compressor you have got?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Justin, I am in the same situation as you…

3B1591CE-006E-4CB4-8037-99B5FECC203A
IMG_8648
Would never have done this without Covid….

1 Like

This is what I’m using. The service manual shows a bolt on compressor that pushes them down without grabbing at the bottom of the springs. I might try putting something together to do the same.

Compressors are generally fine for pressing down free springs but can struggle to overcome ‘stiction’. Before applying pressure, find a socket or piece of stout tubing about an inch in diameter (i.e. smaller than the valve collar and larger than the fitted collets.

Place the tube or socket on the valve collar and strike a single sharp blow with a heavyish hammer and you will feel the bounce of the spring as the wedge jam is freed and repeat for each valve. You will find the springs far easier to compress.

In a V12 head the valves are all vertical and won’t bend on the bench but even on an XK head held clear on a couple of battens this is a safe procedure if you want to re-use the valves.

Beat me to it. never on a Jaguar engine, but on other critters, it worked just fine. Assembly, another matter !!!

I wonder if I still have the plier like device to use on side valve engines.

The big “C” shaped units work on most if ot all valve in head engines. standard machine shop equipment.

Or, super slick, an air powered “clamp”…

Planter box build going well. got the hang of the laser directed blade on the newer “skill” saw, actually Black and Decker"/ Much lighter than my ancient alloy Craftsman… Much is plastic!!!

Carl

You might find that the rap of the hammer is sufficient to dislodge the collets which only leaves you with having the problem of replacement when the time comes.