Monroe front shock damper replacement on XK 120

Had to replace the front shock dampers on my 1954 XK 120 OTS. The original Newton’s (C.7183) had already been replaced by US manufactured versions but these were really “tired”.
Made a lot of comparisons between the various shock dampers available from the well-known sources but eventually opted for Monroe shock dampers as after comparison of all relevant dimensions, they ended up rather close to the original Newton versions and are available at attractive prices (even as “old stock”).
Monroe offered their type 2143 (later changed to 32143) from very early on as a replacement for the XK 120 shock absorber. The diameter of the Monroe version comes close to the one of the later (April 1952 onwards) Newton versions with code SK1743U (Jaguar C.7183).
Although the extended length of the Monroe version is much longer than the Newton one (see table) , in practice this doesn’t really matter. These later Monroe’s are gas-filled.

Installation was simple, but note that the threaded top end of the Monroe will have to be shortened (by 3/8" or 10 mm) as it will hit the Steering Column on LHD cars.

Trying to copy the “looks” of the Newton shock absorbers, I sprayed the Monroe’s grey. The Newton colour is described as Battleship grey and this colour is still available in spray cans. But most of them are mat (instead of semi gloss) and therefore I opted for RAL 7031 (the German version of Battleship grey or should I say “Schlachtschiff Grau”?) See pic below, but note that the threaded end at the top has yet to be shortened.

Bob K.

1 Like

Bob K;
Interesting tidbit for you…
I bought my DHC in May 1967, A few years later I opted to change the front shocks…The
old ones I removed were Monroes!! Needless to say, I bought a replacement set of Monroes
to refit onto the Jag…
When I started the restoration on my DHC, I bought two more sets of the Monroes… One to install after the restoration, and the second pair to use many miles down the road…
I still have both sets of the Monroes… unused and STILL in their original factory boxes!!
Charles #677556.