Monza oil filler cap anyone?

Do they fit under the bonnet?
They look neat after all these years , has anyone used them?
SNG/ MOSS seems like the same one? Is there another low profile one out there?
Thanks in advance
gtjoey1314

Demon Treaks (and others) list “Aston brand” in various sizes, I find 2 1/2"
a nice size, available is a adapter to screw direct to the cam cover. Clearance check needed re E type fittment, MK2 not a prob, or if you are a dab hand with a tig you can go my route.
Makes oil top up sutch a pleasure that you will want to change the oil every week !!!

I would not risk that on an e-type. The bulge is teh close to the engine. I did no more than leave a clamp knuckle pointing up with new engine mounts, and it left a gouge under the bonnet at the edge of the bulge. It isn’t worth it.

As I stated Erica, cap with a screw in adapter needs a clearance check if fitted to E type models, my method OK most other models. Perhaps not XJ unless it’s a 2.8.

Hi Joey,

I don’t think there’s room, but if you really wanna add that kind of race bling you could find/make a smooth valve/cam cover and add 250GT style Monza oil filler cap to one or both sides with a tube entering the sump.

Or if money is no obstacle get the Crosthwaite & Gardiner dry sump system with oil pumps and oil tank with a Monza cap. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

You don’t think there’s room for what Pekka ? If GTJoey’s question is re oil filler cap, the type “Monza” cap normally fitted as the fuel tank cap, then I agree, a bit tight on space !! also totally wrong proportion.
But smaller flip top caps are not a problem space wise, save for the check needed if fitted to E types.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I did get that and was responding to Joey’s question directly.

No, I don’t think there is enough room under the bonnet for an oil filler cap of the “Monza” style, especially if it would be mounted with an adapter on top of the cam cover.

I was suggesting that if he wants the look of those 1950’s and early 1960’s race car engine bays, where you can pour in oil as needed in a 9/12/24 hour race, he could have something made in the style of the Ferrari 250 GT’s all of which had TWO oil filler caps, but not “Monza” style quick latch opening, but normal threaded caps on BOTH sides of the engine bay. They are at the end of a pipe that foes straight into the sump, earlier they were in the middle of the engine and then later in production they were moved towards the front of the engine, but still two of them, for each side of the engine. (on the Lusso and GTO, and late 250GT/E, PF Cabriolet & CoupĂ©)

A bit like V8 Astons which do not have two tanks like XJ/MKVII-MKX/420G, but only one tank with a filler cap on both sides of the car, so the team / mechanics can add oil or fuel from either side of the car.

Then I thought of the nice D-type/Lightweight E-type style dry sump systems with a separate oil tank in the engine bay, that could easily have a “Monza” style filler cap depending on where it is positioned in the engine bay and what else is there.

That would be a conversation starter for sure, as then you could have a smooth cam cover without an oil filler cap or hole. I am sure it wouldn’t be huge task for someone who is used to welding aluminium to weld it shut, machine and polish smooth just like the RH side cam cover.

On the E-type I think especially if you have deleted the heater, there would be more room in the back of the engine bay, also on the other side, in front of the windscreen washer reservoir.

Just a thought.

Cheers!

Please Please and pretty Please, will someone post a photo showing their Jaguar fitted with a flip top oil filler cap, so I can stop banging my
f----ing head against a wall.

Interesting the need for two filler caps on the Ferrari engines, is this because they use so much oil two mecanics can top up in unison, or to suit LH and RH drive, so the driver can jump out and convieniently stick in a quart while the fuel is pumped ? please advise.
BTW have you located one of these?

Joey

Fifteen years ago I used a damaged filler cap and machined it down to a stump sleeve to slip snugly inside a small Monza from Matchless fiberglass fuel tank. Then with the threaded sleeve screwed snugly into the cam cover I epoxied the flip top onto the sleeve with the opening axis parallel to the long covers. Plenty of room.

I actually used early sedan ribbed covers (no rib cutaways and a proper cast-in Jaguar logo). With fully polished ribbed covers, a Monza cap, and plug leads fed into the valley from the back, the engine looked so Italian the big valves sang Nessun Dorma and the oil smelled of pesto.

There’s a pic somewhere on the old site.

3 Likes

Hi,

Well, if someone has a photo of such a thing, for sure, I’ve never seen on fitted to a standard 6-cyl E-type, although I did travel with a 4 litre oil canister also in Europe, as back in 2012 it was becoming more and more difficult to get 20W-50 mineral oil from any gas stations, and our S1 4.2L 2+2 could easily burn and drip more oil than 1 litre per 1000 kms.

I find it funny that in a car as modern as the 456GT we have (made in 1992-2003) the owners manual says that it is “normal” that the car may use as much as 1-2 litres of oil per 1000 kms! Ours doesn’t, but it caught my eye and as I don’t like to overfill any Jaguar engine (or the 456GT either, it’s not a good thing to do) we do carry at least one litre of oil on our continental tours.

That looks like a MKV light switch lever and screw. But they do look very similar to MKVII and yet the later ones have different screw thread and length.

No I don’t have the correct lever, I got an original used screw from Cordell Newby when he was still in business and I have been using an XK120 lever for a while.

We can PM about the details, if you have an extra and that is correct for a 1950 MKV I am of course interested in getting one. I do miss a few other bits and pieces as well, it’s only been 18+ years that I have been looking for them! :smiley: But now I have TWO original DHC interior lamps. :wink:

Cheers!

Flip top on a S2 no clearance issues note it is a low level type

1 Like

Thank you, thank you MGCJAG.

My 67 FHC had this when I got the car 10 years ago . . . would have preferred OEM but am uncertain if one can revert once these are installed. Hence, I’ve left it as is. . . No clearance issues however!

1 Like

Here’s a picture from Google of a ‘Semi-Lightweight’ FIA race car with a small, flip-up oil filler cap in the standard location.

It does appear to be an aftermarket head casting, as well as an aluminum hood, so MAYBE those two items conspire you buy you an extra bit of clearance over a standard car.

1 Like

I can almost guarantee the one in the photo will not work on an E Type.

The examples so far all have the high spot uppermost and the cap randomly aligned. Although you can’t see it here, it’s much prettier IMO, and a little lower, to have the cap 'bulge running along the cover, not across it. I would guess that Dave’s and Steve’s could both be adjusted that way, either playing with o-ring or gasket thickness where the threads hit the cover, or just using clear silicone to hold it firm and not tightening all the way tight?

Note plug wires running under manifold.

Read the post again Paul, I did not imply it would
 GTJoey did not state
Etype , MK2 or other, the example shown in my post is for models other than E type and ? 4.2 XJ.

I read it just fine: I just wanted a comment in the post, warning anyone who might try it.

And which Forum is it in?

That said, is there a Monza cap that would fit the later XJ6 cover?

It’s a wide angle head, which even on an E-type with vertical engine, put the exhaust cam box lower down. That said, there would still be room on a normal E as I measured an inch or so extra above mine. Nice to see a good picture of the alignment I was referring to.

Jaglovers I`m fairly sure Paul. unless i have landed somewhere else ! :slightly_smiling_face: