More headliner info

scrimbo

4h

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough about the info I’m looking for…I removed my liner a few years ago… the shell crumbled into pieces… don’t really miss it… However when closing door I get an echo. So have been thinking about what could be done…??? Conventional with metal rods and pockets… Form a shell out of plastic… Adhere a padded material to the roof… I don’t know… That is why I asked for alternative ideas … The hardest part would be around the sun visor area… Perhaps there is a product I don’t know about… My generation of people in farm country were very much tinkerers and inventors… Had to be… that seems to be changing… How about you other tinkerers?

As I had mentioned, I bought this one last year made of fiberglass from a UK Ebay vendor. I’m very happy with it.

Even though shipping to the US is $117, the entire price of just under $300 is not bad for an entire headliner with base, and you get extra fabric to re-do your side trim.

3 Likes

Will check it out on

As I noted in the other thread, I lined my bare metal interior roof with cork with contact cement. But I’d by a new shell these days. It did work well though, quieted the car, and gave extra head room. The downside is it wasn’t removable.

I should note there are a couple of youtube vids on making shells for cars that didn’t have one. They involve protecting the roof exterior, and making a fiberglass exterior copy that then gets transferred to the inside as a surface for a headliner. But again, given the availability of shells now… seems like a lot of unneeded work.

~Paul K.

Other things that I remember about it, the holes lined up pretty much 99% spot on. Fitting the sun visors correctly was the hardest, and one of the holes was like 1mm off, but still doable.

The other thing, it smelled a bit like glue or fiberglass the first summer on very hot sunny days. But it seems to have aired out ok now. I possibly should have put it in the sun a few days before installing it, because i ‘think’ these are made to order, so it was still fresh smelling when I unpackaged it.

The fiberglass makes it very sturdy, in fact, that helps it ship safely. And the fabric was perfectly glued onto the board. It’s only been 1+ year, but it still looks brand new.

2 Likes

I like Paul’s cork idea as well… another option might be a layer of Dyanmat on the bare metal before whatever covering or headliner you choose goes in.

3 Likes

I would recommend just getting another used one (backing board), in good shape. However, what seller is willing to VERY carefully package one up and mail it out? Much less take the chance it would arrive undamaged? :grimacing:

Gregmatic, does that same vendor make them for the post face-lift models? :confused:

That’s a really clever idea.

I remember reading somewhere that they do make them for face-lift. Not sure where the link is for that.

I believe this is the actual website of the company. I purchased on Ebay thru the above link I posted a few days ago because it was easier than navigating their website, not sure if it is the company or a distributor…