More parts to identify

More parts that I don’t know were they fit !
any help appreciated

Thanks

Mike

![20220713_151028|666x500](upload://2OMC5mSojUgwiqVDx9cgdBZWyM9.j

The solid knurrled thing fits on the top of the gearbox dip stick. The other chrome cup is one of two used in attaching the front bumper. I don’t recognise the oval thing arrowed. The two other chromed items arrowed are bolted to the two front chassis legs. They hold the two spring leaves that are part of the harmonic bumper mounting. The parts shown below are not identical but will help to understand what you’ve got.

The large bolts that screw the chromed parts onto the chassis legs are unfortunately missing but their heads are shrouded by the chromed cups in your first photo then two round rubber plugs are pushed into the cups hiding the bolt heads and providing bump stops for the chromed bumper bar.

Peter

p.s. The oval thing might be part of a silencer hanger but that’s not how my silencers are mounted.

1 Like

Note that the fog lamp brackets are also mounted behind the silentbloc bushes.
Oh, and the number plate support bar fits between the chrome cups and the silentbloc bushes.

Peter

2 Likes

Thanks Pete
I did think they maybe for the bumpers but could not figure out how it all went together
Don’t know what I would would do without the help, is there some kind of body parts book out there besides the work shop manual and parts book ? I could do with some drawings or pictures of the rear swinging bumper arrangement and the locking mechanism for the spare wheel cover under the boot
Thanks for all the info
Mike

Hi Mike,

I’ll try to do a file transfer to you that will give you the MkIV and MkV Service Manuals and Parts Books. The MkIV Service Manual is rather thin on data but the MkV gives a lot more useful info on the mechanical parts.

The swinging rear bumper was a feature of the SS Jaguars but in 1940 the arrangement of the boot and spare wheel compartments was altered such that subsequent cars like yours had fixed rear bumpers. I think your car has the rear bumper bracket fitted to one side and two more brackets were supplied that could be fitted for the other side. The rear bumper looks quite similar to the front one but unlike the front it has a stiffening bar along the back of it. Hopefully you will find that bar and the rear bumper wrapped together so that you don’t confuse the front and rear. The front bumper has lead weights fitted to its ends but the rear one simply has “mushroom” tops on the ends.

The rear bumper brackets are shown in this photo.

Peter

1 Like

Just a little note about the dipstick head. It should be attached to the dipstick as an integral unit. It is attached by threading it through the knob and riveting it slightly on the top inside the hollow part of the knob, to lock it.

Since the stick is not attached, it may be sheared off leaving the remnant inside the knob. Inspect it and if it is broken off, you need to drill it out and make a replacement. If you are lucky, you might be able to drill the riveted top of the stick part down and turn the remnant stem out. The length is important, as are the hi/lo level marks. This information can be provided if you need it. (I have a spare in my box marked ‘things to fix up’ needing this repair.)

Peter L

1 Like

Excellent stuff , thanks both, Indeed the dip stick part is broken off, I will follow you recommendations Pete
Thanks Again

Mike

Here is a '48 Mark IV rear bumper.

Be glad you don’t have the '38 swing down bumper.

Thanks for the pictures, this will help

Mike