More Re: The "Two Fuel Pumps" Issue

Well, to revisit this topic after a lapse …

I had a potential buyer for Sporty looking at her yesterday. He’s actually a German auto tech, but claimed to me that the XJ8 does in fact have two fuel “pumps”, but explained that only one is an actual pump in the traditional sense that sends fuel from the tank up to the engine. The other “assist pump” (for want of a better term) is mounted on the opposite side of the fuel tank and is used to help fuel on that side of the tank get transferred over to the right side, past the “hump” in the middle of the tank, so it can reach the true fuel pump. (btw, no idea why the tank has that hump) … Does this make sense? :nerd_face:

If you have an X350, these pages show the layout.
Dave.

Fuel tank and pumps.pdf (326 KB)

Very interesting, and thanks. It’s an X-308 (2003 M.Y.) though, which according to the Jag Classic parts website drawings should only have one pump. Is it possible the PO fitted an X-350 tank to the car (by mistake)? If so that might explain the burnt wires going to the fuel pump assembly (i.e. the wiring and wiring “loads” in that system are different). :confused:

In the X-308 world (the only one I know much about), the NA cars have one fuel pump and the SC XJR has two, each of which pumps from the tank into the pipe that feeds the injectors. It would seem like a stretch that an X-350 tank would land in a X-308… but who knows, right?

1 Like

Sorry but I cannot find my X300 tech disc at the moment. Hope someone else can help you further.
Dave.

attydallas3
August 24 |

Very interesting, and thanks. It’s an X-308 (2003 M.Y.) though, which according to the Jag Classic parts website drawings should only have one pump. Is it possible the PO fitted an X-350 tank to the car (by mistake)? If so that might explain the burnt wires going to the fuel pump assembly (i.e. the wiring and wiring “loads” in that system are different). Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

odo1 odo
August 24 |

If you have an X350, these pages show the layout. Dave. Fuel tank and pumps.pdf (326 KB) Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

The X350 (and X200/202/X400) has a ‘saddle-tank’ meaning that the prop-shaft goes through a tunnel or ‘hump’ that divides the tank.
Tell the ‘German auto tech’ that he is looking at the WRONG CAR. He needs to buy a 2004 onward XJ8 to get the feature he is looking for!!!

Your x308 has a tank mounted above the rear axle and has ONE PUMP for the Normally Aspirated 4.0.

bob