Most miles on a pushrod Jaguar in 2021

The centre main has a harder job because it shares its oil supply with two big ends rather than just one.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Awww, I see. But the center looked fine, despite that I used a smaller, narrower Chevy bearing in comparison to the originals.

That would be nr. 4 or “KE.4” as it is marked on my block. But it was the next one, “KE.3” that was by far the worst, as seen in the photo with the four new Mahle Clevite 77 +0.020 shells.

Also the wider front main had seriously been worn towards the front, the rear side was ok. But I am replacing those also with new ones, lets see how this goes and what the oil pressure will be once it’s fully warmed up again.

Cheers!

Hi,

Now that I think about it again, I find it even weirder that the big end on con rod nr. 3 looked ok and on nr. 4 it looked really bad, since they are both fed by the crank via the same center main bearing (marked “KE.4” on my block).

Oh well, lets see how this develops. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Hi,

No new miles today, but new big end bearings and six new bottom main bearings and four new upper main bearings have been installed.

The engine ran smooth with good oil pressure, I was going to make a test drive but didn’t have enough time as the car is in a tight spot at the garage so getting out and back in would have been a bit too laborsome.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi all,

Ok, only SIX miles more now, but at least she’s running again. :slight_smile:

I think my ”running in” period may have shifted a bit, but I plan to run the next 394 miles as if it would just have been rebuilt. Then new oil and filter again, retorque the head nuts, check again all rockers and shaft and bushes, replace one rocker and one pushrod (thanks again, Roger) and hope all will be good.

Cheers!

1 Like

Well done! Still plenty of summer left for many more miles.

Peter

1 Like

If you didn’t put in a new piston rings, there’s absolutely no need for that. With just replacing the bearing shells and all that, you should be able to run it as normal.

Hi,

Ok, but I was only HALFWAY running in the piston rings etc. At least the compression test indicated that they should be pretty well seated now. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ok, did 32 miles more today (so total today 38 miles). Now I have some ignition issues, but only above 2.000rpm and only under load, hmmmm…

I’ll start with the basics and check the points, gap them and see how the rotor looks etc. I must admit I have not done it for a while.

Cheers!

1 Like

Great to see your summertime top-down drive! Cheers.

1 Like

Hi,

Ok, 48 miles today. :slight_smile:

But those were LONG and HARD miles. :grin:

I did find the problem with the ignition, surprisingly it was the vacuum advance pipe that I had temporarily fixed. Turned out once the engine room was warm enough the plastic pipe I had used would collapse under max vacuum and got the ignition advance jumping. :frowning:

Then on the way back I had the charging relay giving me a hard time until the main fuse blew! :frowning:

Of course I had some spares, but after two I decided to run without lights, it seemed that some sidelight wire had developed a short. It was getting dark. I made it to the garage! :smiley:

Then the starter jammed! :frowning:

I thought the battey might be dead, but no, it just needed a small whack and ran again just fine. :grimacing:

48 miles.

Cheers!

1 Like

Oh, the joys of dealing with a gazillion year old car… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Only 71 years old with a 73 year old engine! :smiley:

71…73… gazillion.

Same diff…:grimacing:

20 miles on Sunday in the '38 SS. No running problems at all.
I went to what we call a Cruise Night, where anybody with a cool car just shows up and we talk and look over the cars. Mostly street rods and muscle cars and Vettes. Funny how nearly all those '30s rods have automatic trans, power steering and air conditioning. I was between two '60s Plymouths, a Fury and a Barracuda. Several people asked about the loop on the front bumper, so I had to get out the starting crank handle and demonstrate it.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to some C&C, with the Jeepster, next year!

Those will be shakedowns for Bonneville.

Hi,

Cool. :slight_smile:

I am missing both the chrome loop (I had one but it got loose and disappeared :frowning: ) and a starting handle.

Cheers!

PS. You may be leading the Pre-War statistics now! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Rob,

Do you know how many miles you got on your SS Jaguar last year?

I just checked my log book and I have now done a bit over 800 miles in total since the 1947 3 1/2 engine rebuild.

428 miles in 10 days last year 2021.

And now this year in 5 days of driving I have done a total of 250 miles. That’s not much, but unfortunately I seem to have some problems all the time! :laughing: Now the charging relay and the flashers are not working, and the brakes pull to the left and I would need to MOT the car! :frowning_face:

Cheers!

1 Like

Only maybe 200 miles for me. Mostly cruise nights.

2 Likes

SNG Barretts sell them. BD2126

C1F97985-7EF9-4E23-816C-9121BF6914D1

Tim