Most miles on a pushrod Jaguar in 2023

Hi,

Not that I am going to win this one :slight_smile: , but I had 54 happy sunny miles yesterday to our club meeting and back, and 15 miles of shopping the previous day, so now I have 5 driving days and almost 200 miles behind me this year. Lets see!

Cheers!

5 Likes

Hi Pekka,
You win so far - for me 5 days outings but only 71 miles to date this year - but just wait till mid-May and I might catch up!
Cheers

1 Like

Hi,

Yesterday was nice weather so I had the top down and did 66 happy miles more. :slight_smile:

So this spring’s total for me is now 217 miles in 7 days. :sunglasses:

Cheers!

And I bet you’re the only MkV owner on the planet. who’s done some of those miles with chains on… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all,

And sorry I didn’t report back sooner, this was already last Saturday, but I had a very busy week, my daugher moved last month but still putting together cabinets and book shelves etc AND I am moving from one garage to another one, funny how many bits and pieces I’ve managed to collect in only 15+ years! :laughing:

So I wasn’t going at first, but then it was a chance to meet a long lost brother!

#527126 1st reg. in Helsinki on March 14th 1950 as AO-200 had not been out in 28 years!

But after the first 9 miles at 9 AM I lost all oil pressure at about 3.000rpm and the speedo showing 60mph. Before that it was 60lbs and I immediately switched the engine off and coasted to the hard shoulder.

20-30 mins later I had the oil pump shaft back down and good oil pressure again.

The rest was nice, except me & my passenger friend were late for the meet.

But after 123 miles I was back and all was well.

Cheers!

Ps. So I am at 340 miles this year, eight days of driving! :smiley:

Hi,

After one month’s hiatus 45 hard miles today.

I finally replaced the vacuum unit and screwed something up in the dizzy. Long story short, I replaced the points and verified wires and the engine ran very well, but I had to wash off all the pollen (although the car had been in the garage) and I was an hour late, so I saw 9 fellow club members already driving back from the club meet just as I was getting there. Well I still had a cuppa coffee. :smiley:

Ran out of fuel on the way back to the city, but I carry a reserve cannister,

Cheers!

1 Like

I have done 890 miles this year. I try and use the Jag every 2nd weekend, and where possible on the highway so I can give it a good run. The more often I use it, the less problems I seem to have! I installed an overdrive, which has made a dramatic difference.

2 Likes

Words to live by!

1 Like

Hi,

Great to hear! Yes, revs are a bit high on highways, which I try to avoid. Small roads are fun. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Hi,

I’m still only half way to your mileage, but after 4 weeks pause drove the ol’ lady again, 42 miles. The first 40 were a joy, but then the engine suddenly shut down in a traffic light and would not start. It took me a while to realise that the fuel pump was not clicking. After hitting it a couple of times and checking the ground connection I took out the old light pen and could see that also the coil was not powered. The LH side fuse on the RB95 was blown.

So a new fuse and I got home just fine. :smiley:

So now at least 435 miles this year.

Cheers!

1 Like

The wiring going to the fuel pump has several places on its path where gradual rubbing can dig through the wire insulation and provide a place where a vibration can short the electrical path to ground and blow the fuse. Unfortunately, the cloth insulators on Mark V wires now are seven decades old and getting slowly brittle and easier to fall apart. I’ve also had to replace some of the dashboard wiring on a few Mark V cars where the current became more than the plastic/rubber insulator could take, producing smoke behind the dash wood.

I didn’t think the fuel pump and ignition coil were protected by a fuse. The A3-A4 fuse is for the accessories like wipers, fuel gauge, heater and turn signals. I wonder if your car is wired wrong?

Good point, my remark may be incorrect about wiring path and fuse involvement. I did not check my own wiring or the shop manual diagram before writing the remark. I did find chafed-bare wire on my fuel pump line yesterday when doing some work on the oil pump and found chafed-bare wire on the line underneath the car last year.

That’s great it was something simple. Lovely car, so elegant in your colours.

South African drivers are lunatics, so I need the overdrive so I can keep up with traffic.

With the drophead, and patient road users, you don’t need speed!

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, my car has also extra fuses as ALL the original wiring has been removed before 1976 and replaced with a very scetchy job where all thick wires are black and all thin wires are white. :-o

I had a hard time debugging and making the car street legal and first pass an MOT in the UK in 2008 and then a more strict one in Finland in 2014, as the car had no working horns at all and no wiring for reverse lights and switch etc.

I have a complete new wiring harness incl all the intruments and dash wiring from Rhode Island Wiring that I bought ca 5 years ago, but I am still not sure when I would restore the car back to factory spec. :+1:

Cheers!

It wasnt me, Pekka!!

:smirk:

1 Like

Nope, for sure. The door frame hack job and wiring was done before the Kruse Oklahoma auction from where Bud Kalland bought the car in 1976. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Do it, you won’t be sorry you chose RIW.

My 120 had been rewired by somebody using all the same color wire.
It used to blow fuses when I signaled a left turn. I found the wiring inside the manette tube was chafing on a sharp edge in there from pulling the wheel in and out, and the left signal wire was grounding.

2 Likes