Mounting Lockheed brake booster on XK150

can anyone tell how to mount the Lockheed brake booster on an XK150? It does not look like original bracket can be used.

I did this

Bert,

See the Jaguar Installation instructions for the XK 140 servo, which is not identical but these instructions are “generic” and it may help you if no specific XK 150 information is available. Remember that the servo for the XK 140 was a later option, meaning Jaguar could have opted for another solution at the XK 150 production line. Assuming you have a LHD car, this is what Jaguar wrote for the XK 140 Servo:

Installation, Coupe (LHD)

Servo

The servo unit can be fitted in the LH battery compartment above the battery. The exact position selected should be as high and as near the outside of the car as possible. By using the end cover of the servo as a template, mark and drill the fixing holes.

The outside bolt should be fitted from the inside of the car to form a stud on which to mount the servo. It is necessary to fit two nuts to each of the mounting bolts as distance pieces.

The unit should be fitted with the vacuum and hydraulic inlet connections pointing towards the engine, and the servo cover repositioned so that the air inlet slot is at the bottom.

Fittings

The front and rear brake pipes should now be removed from the master cylinder and connected to the 3-way piece. The rear pipe to the centre arm and the front pipe to the innermost arm. The lay of the pipes will now control the position for the 3-way piece which may be secured by a set screw into the base and positioned on the front wall of the battery compartment.

Now remove the two armed banjo from the master cylinder and replace with single armed Banjo Part No. 7960 also replacing gaskets Part No. KL.44518 and KL.44522.

The adaptor Part No. 81087 with gasket (KL.44516) should be fitted to the servo inlet.

Bob K.

Thanks much for the photo’s and the install instructions.

I should have mentioned my 150 is LHD and the fitment is on the left hand side in the compartment above the battery box.

Mine is the same. However, in looking at my new battery box it has holes pre-drilled in the top for mounting the original brackets. If I were to install an original booster and use the original brackets, the booster would be mounted 180 degrees from what your pictures describe. In other words, the large end of the booster would be facing the outside of the car and the master cylinder side would be facing the engine compartment. .

I should also mention that my car is a DHC. Would that make a difference?

this is how my car was when I bought it. its obviously been worked on (see the length of the pipes) I didn’t pay much attention to how it should be I made the mounting for ease of installation and piping connections.

Thanks Phil. That is how mine was originally. I do not think it matters which way the booster is mounted. I think it is just a matter of installing the lines as easy as possible. I installed a booster on my 1963 Austin Healey BJ7 and mounted it on the passenger side of the car behind the wheel well.