Movie car or what?

I think the car they were trying to simulate had an angled back radiator.

Peter

The April-Fool two door SS / MKIV actually looks terrific! Fitted with a ‘Straight-8’ under that extended bonnet it would have been a wonderful car.

Shades of Bugatti Royale.

That’s just a bit too much car for me.

The SS Straight-8 could have been 4.5L. Imagine the torque. :smile:

Just applying direct proportion perhaps 240 ft-lbs so perhaps a 0 to 60 time of 9.5 secs like the Mondeo. Still not a ball of fire but quite swift for the 1930s.

1 Like

Not even Rolls Royce were as mean spirited to leave the ‘Driver’ exposed to all the elements. Very odd?

In most cases. :roll_eyes:

I guess it’s a throw back to the days of horse drawn carriages when the driver was exposed to the elements while the “genteel” passengers sat in protected comfort? Rather an anachronistic point of delineation of “Class”.

To use an old English expression, “It has a backside like a farmer’s daughter!” :scream:

1 Like

Ha, ha! :smiley: Clear Photoshopping, like this one:

According to some, in another thread, the in-line 12 was real.

:roll_eyes:

I couldn’t afford Photoshop and this a quarter of a century ago!

Peter :anguished:

1 Like

Hi,

I sat in one of those when I was a kid. MB 770K, nicknamed “Grosser” (Bigger). :slight_smile: It’s big.
Has a 7.7 Litre straight eight with a compressor giving roughly 200hp at 2800rpm.

It was in a museum near our summer house in the 1970’s, originally it had been the Krupp company’s (now ThyssenKrupp) Krupp - Wikipedia director’s car, most likely Alfried’s personal car: Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach

I think it weighed over 3 1/2 metric tons, lots of room in the back seat. Aftern the owner of that museum (Mr. Aulis Pakula) died his widow sold the MB pretty quickly to USA at a time when one million dollars was a lot of money.

The reason Mr. Pakula wanted to have one, was that when our Field Marshal (and later President) C-G Mannerheim Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim - Wikipedia had his 75th birthtday, Adolf flew over to celebrate and gave him as a birthday present one of those 770K’s. The car later disappeared, I think via Sweden to the US where it was later displayed with all kinds of nazi livery in a museum in Las Vegas. Pakula tracked it down and had the correct paperwork but obviously it was worth more as Adolf’s car to the American owner than just being the car of some distant not well known East European small country’s ex president.

They say Mannerheim was much more excited about the four 4WD Puch “Geländewagens” that is Austrian all terrain vehicles for the military use that he also got as a small gesture of goodwill from Mr. Hitler. I am sure we needed those as well as all the “Panssarikauhu” (Finnish, in German “Panzerschreck”) that we also received to help keep the Soviet tanks off our lawn. Panzerschreck - Wikipedia It worked.

Cheers!

Hi,

Sure, I was using the word metaphorically only. :wink:

Cheers!

PS. FWIW I think I had Photoshop already in 1992 when we got our first 24-bit graphics card to our Mac IIsi (one card slot) that gave us millions of colours in 640x480 resolution which was mind blowing as most computer games at the time were either B&W or 16 colours, or the finest had 256 colours! :slight_smile: With a whopping amount of RAM (17Mb, when most had 640k or 1Mb) we were able to do 3D renderings and composite them on photos, state-of-the-art at the time, now any kid can do it with their cell phone. That Mac had an internal hard drive, 20Mb.

The Barcelona car is pretty good, but there is a break in the chrome line curvature at the rear edge of the door, window frame too. Mr. Lyons would not have permitted that.

An Inline 12 was tried by Packard in 1929, but was not successful, too much vibration, although the Packard nephew drove it around Detroit a little while.
Packard-L12-600-
1929-Packard-Straight-12-Victoria-Dietrich-314 1929-Packard-Straight-12-Victoria-LR

Then there was Gabriel Voisin’s attempt using a Knight engine.
gv1021

The inline 12 seems to work with huge slow turning marine Diesel engines for container ships.

Oh god: an inline 12, Knight sleeve engine?

The definition of monkey motion!

Whhooa! That’s a cool car. :smiley:

Cheers!

Can you put someone next to that marine engine so we can get a perspective?

You’re welcome…:grimacing:

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking!:+1: