Mud shield installation--which way?

Can someone confirm for me which way the front and rear mud shields are supposed to face in an XK140? Both the front and the rear have a channel into which a flat strip of rubber is inserted to form a (very poor) watertight seal. According to XK 140 Explored (see below), the front shield or “diaphragm” is installed with the channel facing to the rear, away from the tires. However, on the same page the rear shield or “sealing plate assembly” is installed with the channels again to the rear, but now facing the tires. This makes no sense to me as seemingly both front and rear channels should either face toward or away from the tires and their onslaught of mud and debris. It is difficult to find any original photos of these lowly parts, and almost all the original installations have rotted away. So what is it? Front facing or rear facing? Or like Solomon and XK Explored, split the baby and do one of each.

Bob,

Sometimes it’s better to look at how the original ones came out of the car. In my case they were still present although the rear ones had suffered quite a bit more than the front ones.
On the pics of the front one you can see that one side has far less corrosion (even showing patches of the original black paint) than the other side, indicating how it was affixed.

The rear one is a bit more difficult to see. The side with the channel has a surface that suffered more from stones etc and is therefore the side towards the tires, while the other side (no channels) has much less corrosion and was the inside.

Hope you agree with my reasoning.

Bob K.

rubber to the inside ie not seen drawing in XK140 of rear one is for LH side

bob what is interesting with the pictures you posted is that the very first of the XK140- roadster/DHC? had the front bulkhead dust shield made the same as the XK120 ones

The rear XK140 one you show held on by 4 large 10g self tappers has the 4 little holes at the base and whilst only 2 are used ones I have here have the same four holes so presumably the predone holes didn’t match the bit the strews were suppose to screw to ?

Terry,

Forgot to mention that mine are for a 140 FHC!
I do know that the bonnet, position of the roof etcetera are all different as per 140 OTS and DHC. It was only intended to show what is front and back side.

Bob K.

Outlook voor Android downloaden

Bob, Thanks for the photos. Those seem to agree with XK 140 Explored which has the channels facing in on the front and out at the rear.

Terry, You seem to be of the channels always go inside camp. Although you state that the “drawing in XK140 of rear one is for LH side,” the illustration labels it as a right hand side example and has an arrow positioning it in the right rear wheel well. It makes sense to me that both would be treated similarly, but XK 140 Explored and Bob’s photos are to the contrary.

Are there any other opinions out there?

Okay. I can see that this is not the most exciting subject ever, but I still have to install these. Although Bob’s photos and XK 140 Explored are in agreement that the rear channels (unlike the front) should face the tire, I am going to mount both front and rear mud shields with the channels facing away from the tires. My reasoning is that it makes no sense not to be consistent between the front and the rear, and there is no functional purpose served by exposing the channels to steady diet of mud and water. The channels are more likely than a smooth surface to catch and hold dirt and moisture, and to serve as an incubator for rust. They would also be difficult to clean. As I recall the condition of my originals, I did not even know there were channels because they had rusted away completely. So that is my decision. Here’s hoping it doesn’t result in point deductions down the line if this car ever finds its way to a show.

this photo quite clearly says this face goes away from tire. you can see the rust where the 4 vertical screw holes are that notes this surface is touching B pillar.

I agree. Your logic, and photo, win the day. And the fact that this survived without completely rusting out show it is the better setup.

Thanks.