Muffler Heat Shield Installation

There are some spacers remaining on the floor pan where the pervious muffler heat shield was installed on my Series 1.5 OTS (1st attached). I am getting ready to install a new heat shield (p/n BD20439) which has a white insulating pad attached to an aluminum pan (2nd attached). From what I’ve been able to learn from previous posts the spacers should go and the new shield should be mounted with insulating pad up, directly to the floor pan. It looks like the plastic coating on the aluminum portion of the new heat shield should be peeled off prior to installation to avoid smoke and fumes once the mufflers heat up. Can someone tell me if I’m on the right track? Thanks!
Art Cutler

Mine has no spacers and I can tell you that there is very little free space between the muffler and shield. The only benefit there might be to spacers is that the shield is a very tight fit between the side rails, at least it is on mine. I would most definitely remove the plastic or it will be a melted mess in a few seconds.

Those are not spacers, they are old aluminum pop rivets. Drill them out and then install the new heat shield with new pop rivets.

1 Like

Thanks Erica and Bill! I’ve got a clear path forward - at least for now.

Art