Muffler Upgrade

Ive never been happy with the exhaust sound from the stock system…Ive tried the Jag recreations…stainless…and various brands of resonators… Through the years Ive seen several pictures of cars with what can be described as glasspacks…for lack of a better description long round mufflers…After . doing some measuring I ordered a Smithys brand 31in muffler set…My local muffler shop made 4 pipe adaptors for $20 . I r/r the existing mufflers and was please to see that everything fit perfectly. I was unsure if I would like the sound and wanted a replaceable system anyway ,Ill take it back and have the shop make up some support straps later…
So what did I get…well Im pleased…Here is what its not…it does not have the drone at idle like a period ferrari unfortunately…It does have a bit of a raspy sound when revved up but at idle is just a bit louder than stock,at speed it sounds more mechanical than stock ,Over all it sounds more like a sports car than a sedan …Im pleased and will keep it the conversion was also very easy and cheap…

1 Like

I think most would like to hear some driving sound.

Not sure what “driving sound” means to me its the entirety of the vehicle…

I rolled my own on the center muffler section, using Porter stainless wool packed mufflers. Combined with the ClassicFabs long tube headers, the sound was just what I was looking for: a bit more bass at idle and lower rpms (but subdued overall volume) and an aggressive growl under harder acceleration and at higher (3000+) rpms.

IMG_0897 (1)

1 Like

where do i get one of these

what is the part # for these

Pete, no part number. This is a one off I fabricated using stainless mufflers from portermufflers.com (1.75" in and out), a couple of extension tubes (1.75"OD on one end, 1.625OD on the other) and 1/8" stainless strap. Muffler hangers are a failsafe design from ClassicFabs using more modern rubber donuts.

Steve, it would be great it you could post a sound bite, or running video!

It may be the # 35175 not sure of legenth

PS I later went back to the shop and had the adaptors welded as there were leaks ,fine now