My 1990 XJ-S Convertible Got Rear Ended

I was rear ended yesterday while out running errands in our 1990 Jaguar XJ-S convertible. I was the only one in my car. The driver of a small GEO utility vehicle failed to stop and ran into the back of a pickup truck that then pushed the pickup truck into me in a chain reaction collision for three vehicles. The South Carolina Highway Patrol identified the GEO driver as the only driver that “Contributed To Collision” in his report and luckily he has insurance.
I feel OK but I have an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow. The driver of the pickup truck was taken away in an ambulance with neck and back pain. I had the car towed to my home by AAA and I drove it into my garage where I can take a good look at the damage and start the insurance claim work. We have owned this car for 18 years and about 80K miles. I have put a lot of my time and money into keeping it looking and running great. I hope that I can get it fixed, but the damage to the rear looks pretty bad to me.

Paul

That is so sad. Knowing your cars, you could probably eat off the engine. The crumple at the wheel arches is not in your favor. Almost like the rear is pushed not only in, but down.

2 Likes

Damn Paul sorry to hear, hope no injuries raise their heads in the coming days.
Also hope that the car can be placed on a chassis machine and get pulled out.

1 Like

John,
Since you mentioned the engine bay, here’s a picture of it.

I definitely want to keep it on the road if I can do so. But the damage to the rear is not trivial.

Paul

2 Likes

Robin,
I already have two leads on local shops that have done similar repairs according to local club members. I suspect it will be a while before I know what can be done.

Paul

5 Likes

Oh, man. That’s a heartbreaker.

That’s quite a bit of damage. hate to say it but things don’t look good. Hope I’m wrong.

Cheers
DD

3 Likes

So sorry to hear. We all fear something like this. :frowning:

1 Like

So sad, especially as that car looks like it was immaculate

2 Likes

Hate to see this. At least the guy has insurance, and hopefully its actually good enough smh. Hope you can get it sorted, but yeah definitely a fair amount of damage unfortunately

1 Like

This is really really sad Paul.
I hope you can get it fixed.
Best of luck.

3 Likes

This is the one situation we all hope will never happen. I know how much work you have done to this car- it’s a damn shame. Paul, I hope the car can be rescued. Dave.

3 Likes

Be prepared, that repair will require a lot of parts that are not available new (both quarter panels and the deck/boot lid). Also both unibody rails are damaged. Easiest/best repair would be to section a used rear clip, but most shops would not take the time to do the work correctly (factory seams). Also finding the used parts in comparable condition would take time.
My guess is you have $10-12k in damage. I was a dealership collision shop manager, but it was quite some time ago.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear of troubles. Judging by the energy absorbed, I trust your breaks were working well, and were hard applied. Anyway, hope for best, but be prepared to reject first (2??) settlement offers. Most insurance companies can most easily find a super low ball Valuation for any car, let alone an older, slow seller as we enjoy. Nice guys/ victims drive Hondas. One time I was not having luck getting a fair settlement. Don’t cash a low check!! I got calls returned only after I marked check “Void” and mailed it back o the claims adjuster’s boss. Unfortunately, it seams the industry is convinced that “broke American’s” will view any check as “found money from that old crappy car…” . Again- just free advice based on one guy’s experience…

2 Likes

Sorry…and that is something that we all worry about…the unknown card in the Deck of Life… looks pretty sprung…the insurance probably will say total loss…your sentimentality and work will not be considered…I’ve seen some people lose out…let us know the results.

3 Likes

So glad you weren’t hurt more. Your car is beautiful and has always been inspirational. Hope you can restore her to her previous beauty

2 Likes

What a shame but hopefully you are OK as that’s what really matters.
Lets all hope the insurance company doesn’t just cut and run when they see the value of used X-JSs as compared to potential repair costs.

2 Likes

This is where agreed value policy and Hagerty are great. Someone else is to blame, the mess up your car, and your insurance company pays you and then goes after the other guy in your behalf.

Who is your insurance company? They make you whole even if the other guy won’t.

Concours 1990 XJS is $40k

3 Likes

Paul . . .
I’m so sorry to see this - every Jaguar owner’s worst nightmare.
I have often said that if someone runs into my XJ-S I will immediately dial 911. When the agent taking the call asks “Are there any injuries?” I will respond “Not yet!”.

4 Likes

Paul:

I am really sorry to hear of that accident. frstof all, i sure hop tht your Dr. visit clears you. Those type injuries may take a day to maonifest and quiite a while ad lots of care to get them to go away.

As you may know, i was in insurance claims for a lot of years. I remember a lo of it.
And, thiings have changed, a lot.

I hope you have some versin of colliso isnsurae. it might be easier to dela with your insuror than the one for the responsble party.

The time is nlow to gather data. establish ACV, Actual cash value. Establish a cost to repar.

And, salvage. what is s worth for parts.

As you know, David boger of everydayxj is over your way! A source of goodparts at a reasonable price.

A very modrn repair shop will ahve a cage to pull unibody cars way back t factory pecs. Expenive, though.

Unfortnately, i suspect the adjusters will opine that the car is a totoal loss…

PM me if you have any insurance questions I might be able t help.

CHJ

5 Likes

All,
Thank you all for the kind words of concern for me and sympathy for our rear end crash damaged 1990 XJ-S convertible. I have been in contact with both my insurance company and the insurance company of the driver that caused the accident. Through the help of my local British Car Club members I contacted a few repair shops, including one well regarded shop that is coming over to my place next week to see the car because they believe they can repair it. Also with the help of my local car club I inspected a nearby 1990 XJ-S convertible parts car with no engine that is a potential donor for the damaged main rear end metal parts and possibly more.
The main challenge will be dealing with the insurance companies as I expect the estimate to repair will be quite high.

Carl,
I will take you up on your offer for advice as I may need your expertise to help me deal with the insurance adjusters. I will contact you via PM as suggested.

Paul

6 Likes