My 1990 xjs shocks

would someone please let me know what brand rear shock absorber I should buy for my 1990 xjs. I am getting a clunking, or,bottoming out sound from the rear when I give her some throttle.It is loud enough to warrant fixing for sure. Thank you ahead of time.
I do hope I dont have to replace coil springs, or radius arms. Mark

Mark. I had this clunk seemingly coming from the back when l ran over a hole or a bump in the road. After putting her on the hoist a couple of time and eliminating the rear suspension as the problem the penny dropped. The rubber bush in the rear gearbox mount was totally destroyed. There is a lot written about in the archives that is helpful. One thing I noticed that some unbolted the exhaust to be able to drop the mounting plate. I found I didn’t need and with the aid of a third arm to counter act the spring it was an easy process to fit a new bush. She hasn’t been so quiet for years.

It doesn’t sound like a shock absorber problem Mark, but rather like a rear transmission mount as Trev said, or a bad U-joint or a worn driveshaft or hub spline, or lower arm/hub bearings and the list goes on…
I think it needs more investigation, if the clank is severe enough it would be easy to find.

As for shocks, Boge/Girling are OEM, but many choices available according to taste.

thank you so much Trev, and Aristides , I will investigate. I searched around for a very long time yesterday with the rear passenger side wheel off. Checking under and around the whole rear end areas. Finding no signs of problems.Your text may just save some sanity,
Thanks again,I will update how I am doing Mark

thank you, any info on where you bought the new bushing I wonder? Grateful, Mark
How do I find the archives here on Jag lovers please

The rear gear box mount comes in a kit… at least it does in AU. Three rubber pieces in total…. Two cup washers for top and bottom of the spring and a cotton reel for the main shaft. They originally had only one cup washer but now top and bottom are advised. The cotton reel bush was much too long.in my kit (band saw fixed that). Also the internet parts diagram didn’t have a bush circlip retainer that mine does…but it’s all quite doable. Keep in mind that mine is an 82. There are a couple of tricks to get by the exhausts and that recalcitrant spring …. so if your contemplating the job and need some insight let me know.

Thank you, I most always do my own work on the weekends.I have learned to avoid the garage fix labor charges as much as possible. So any hints i can get are very valuable.
I just looked in the Haynes manual for a diagram of what I am up against,but I saw nothing much to help me. Mark

Mark,
I recommend that you get a copy of the Jaguar XJ-S Repair Operations Manual (ROM) it is much better than the Haynes manual. I have done most of the work on our 1990 XJ-S convertible over the past 16 years and the ROM has been worth its weight in gold to me. Other important documents to have in your library include the Jaguar XJ-S Parts Catalogue, the Drivers Handbook, the S-57 Electrical Guide, and of course Kirby Palm’s “Experience in a Book”. I found hard copies of the ROM, Parts Catalogue and S- 57 on eBay. You can download Kirby’s Book for free from Jag-Lovers.
I removed and replaced the transmission mount bushing in our XJ-S about 15 years ago due to a clunk. It had completely disintegrated. I believe I followed the instructions in the ROM and read through the sections in Kirby’s Book as well before I started.

Paul

Its worth looking closely at the exhaust system as well, you may find witness marks it it has been touching.

thank you for taking time for me, I will look into the info you have given me. First I will check out my trans. mount to hopefully find the problem. I will keep you updated with progress. thanks again. Mark

thank you for the info, I did find a place where the passenger side rear muffler was hitting the under body. I did correct this, but I still ended up with the same clunking noise. I am going to investigate the trans. mount in hopes that I find the cause. thanks again. Mark