My doors are conspiring to irritate me!

I’m all pumped up to get the doors on my V. Seems they aren’t as excited about the project. It’s been over a year and a half since I took the doors off and I don’t remember having any trouble removing them. The manual says to open the doors fully and then removing the 4 screws. Reattachment is the reverse. I just don’t seem to be able to get the hinge in far enough to get any of the screws started. I actually only see one screw that I can get to with a screw driver. Does anyone remember if there is something special about reattaching the doors? I’m totally frustrated!

Hi Wayne, do you mean getting the hinge end into the rectangular depression on each door? It took a bit of jiggling to get the sweet spot and it then sort of " fell" in.

I think I used a thin screwdriver as a guide through the hinge hole and the corresponding threaded hole in the back plate.

I cant remember if the hinges have an up and down. If so then the grease nipples are on top. (At least mine are)

The grease nipples are on the top. The hinge is wider then the rectangular hole in the door so I was having to maneuver the door to accept the outer end of the hinge in first then rotate the door a bit to allow the rest in. I had the shins Scotch Taped in place and the 4 screws in the hing as I couldn’t see how else to get them in. It seems that I couldn’t get the hinges pushed in enough to start a screw.

| JonV2 - 1950 MkV, 1959 XK150, Patron
December 15 |

• | - |

Hi Wayne, do you mean getting the hinge end into the rectangular depression on each door? It took a bit of jiggling to get the sweet spot and it then sort of " fell" in.

I think I used a thin screwdriver as a guide through the hinge hole and the corresponding threaded hole in the back plate.

I cant remember if the hinges have an up and down. If so then the grease nipples are on top. (At least mine are)

I remember writing about it a couple of years ago when I put mine back on, that I believed the factory method must have been to assemble a pair of doors on the hinges with shims, get them aligned somehow, perhaps in a special fixture, then lift the pair up and attach the hinges to the center pillar last.
I too had quite a struggle getting mine on separately, a lot of careful trial and error.

Hi Wayne, cannot remember details, but feel I taped the shims on like you but left the screws off and used a fine screwdriver to line up a hole ( like Jon ) then was able to insert a screw, one on top hinge and one bottom, to check thickness of shims to use. I recall this was done several times to achieve an end result. The “door trolley” made life easier. I assume the your hinges are mounted on the body first as shown in my pictures then “slide” the door in!! Good luck and let us know the result.

So, after a frustrating couple of day’s and several multi finger scotches…I finally realized that when I put the hinges back together after cleaning, I’d put the door side on upside down! At least it allowed me to get in my quota of scotch! Once together properly, they went on fine. As it’s said, “ You can’t fix stupid!”
Thanks to all that offered help.
Uploading: B10AC7FC-896A-4DF1-9D1F-E54D2062A4B4.jpeg…
Processing: 088F16DD-F30B-497E-BEFC-A6B46BABD22F.jpeg…
Uploading: 031D8AB6-9CBD-48B5-94C4-783441BBE43A.jpeg…

2 Likes

Hi Wayne,
Glad to hear it all worked out. I’m sure you already know this, but I put a couple of bricks in the bottom of the doors when adjusting the shims to simulate the weight of the glass and regulators…
Cheers, Jon.

1 Like

When I removed the doors 1.5 years ago, I labeled each set of hinges as Nd put them and the door screws in its own zip lock bag. Three out of the four doors fit perfectly. Only one has problems. I’m thinking that I have to remove that door and take out one of the lower shins. Not sure why it’s lost it’s adjustment. I’ll see how it reacts when I put it back on the car.