My friend Robert, Interweb Star (with E-type content)

You may recall last summer I started a thread about a S1 E-type my good friend was offering to me for sale: Not an E-Type Owner Yet, but lots of questions I still haven’t completed that purchase, but have nonetheless been lurking here on your fine forum for the last several months.

Anyway, last November the host of Hagerty’s “Barn Find Hunter” web-based program came and filmed at my friend’s facility. Normally the program is a 15 minute segment, but Robert’s “barn” merited a 30 minute show. The episode went live yesterday and I thought some of you might be interested in seeing it. Robert is one of a kind and a dear friend. BTW, the E-type makes an appearance at around 22:30 of the video and is, arguably, one of the more pedestrian of the vehicles featured. :wink:

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p4JLdDe8SY

1 Like

Great video, thanks for sharing!

Great video.
getting past 20.

With the Hagerty video, I would expect a line is forming outside his building, hope you get the car, not sure how you can go wrong (I just recently picked up a white non-running 30+ years in storage '63 coupe myself…) JS

Great video and collection.

I don’t know how tight you and your friend are, but my guess is he’s already getting offers on his cars the XKE included.

If I were you, I’d try and complete the transaction for the ‘E’ as soon as possible.

I’ve got no dog in this race. Just sayin’.

Interesting, I thought the change from metal dash to fabric was more or less all at once but this car has a 64 center console and gauge panel and retains the earlier metal radio console and shift tower. It’s a nice combination. Did you end up buying this or not? It seems like a fine starting point for a great car.

This episode of Barn Find is the mother lode. It just goes on and on and on, building after building. It’s like, “here’s the Jag building” and “here’s the Corvette building”, and “here’s the Daytona building” etc.

We are very tight. He and I actually had a conversation this morning (at his initiation) in which he reassured me he’s not selling it to anyone else right now. Still working on marshaling resources.

Erica,
Based on my research, I suspect that during a previous restoration it ended up with a covered dash and console. I believe both should be metal. The build date is October ‘62, IIRC.

Well, to provide a brief follow up, your comments were prescient. The line has been forming at my friend’s doorstep and he has another offer equal to or greater than the price he was offering me. A European buyer (not that there’s anything wrong with that). He has offered me first dibs, but the timetable has accelerated somewhat. After much thought, prayer, and mental gymnastics, I think I’m going to pass. It’s just not the right time for us to sink that kind of cash into another old car. (Note, I think the main reason I’m writing this in a public forum is to convince myself. :smile:)

It’s kind of a shame, because I’ve really enjoyed hanging around this forum with you folks. You’re a knowledgeable and friendly bunch. But it was easier to participate is a “prospective E-type owner” than a “former prospective E-type owner.” Maybe someday, but for now I’ll probably slink back to my MG, Ford Flathead, RV and tractor forums that I’ve been neglecting for the past several months. Or, to stay within budget maybe I’ll start pursuing the hot rod Bugeye that is seen early in the video. :wink:

I’ll let you know if things change . . .

Regards,
Scott

1 Like

Good christ…and to think Dad bought a Superbird offa a customer, for $1000, and sold it, a year later, for $3000.

The rest of the collection…Holy Four Speed, Batman!!!

Hey, please do! I’ll be boring all these Jag owners with the creation of my '66 Jeepster hot rod, powered with a 4.2 XK engine.

I’m looking into the license plates…

Jee-Typ.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, that one made me literally laugh out loud.

Or maybe Eeep. 12345

1 Like

Good second choice!..