My mechanic is killing me

If I think about it too much …I had to edit this.

Do you have an XJS? I only see XF and S- type listed in your profile.

Maybe the OP is dead and the mechanic KILLED HIM/HER? (dying declaration?)

lol…no, are you an attorney? that’s an astute comment. He is ruining my life though…it’s a nightmare that has no end.

Did you mean to post on S-type forum?

This is XJ-S forum, where most of us do our own work on our cars. I couldn’t afford my Jaguar if I had to send it off to a mechanic. Jaguars are high maintenance, but a joy to drive.

Not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. Just a retired Jaguar mechanic that noticed a ‘cry-for-help-’ on the internet.

Glad you are not dead.

Ooo, retired Jaguar mechanic? Just curious, what was the top reason XJ-S’s came into your garage?

Well since the car was introduced here in North America as the 1976 MY and ended in 1996, there are many changes so there are different faults with each update.

Number one had to be ‘oil-leaks’.
Next was Air Conditioning not cooling.
The 5.3 liter has it’s ‘idiosyncrasies’ and the 6.0 has different ones.
The AJ6 (3.6) was only imported here for a few years.
The AJ16 (4.0) only 2 MYs.

The WORST job was the evaporator matrix R&R. (I hate doing those)
People would ‘twist-off’ the expansion valve or suction hose from the evap pipes and need replacement. I had a few special tools to remove the fittings so I did not damage the evap core but some people just use FORCE.

What sort of special tools for evap core? I have six Jags all with broken AC and part of the reason is complete fear of ruining the evaporator when taking off the expansion valve.

I didn’t have any special tools to work with, but I found this tool very helpful:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superior-Tool-Ratchet-Jaw-Basin-Wrench-Attachment/3228212

I used that ratchet jaw thing to loosen the B nut while holding the fitting still with a crowfoot. Both on long extensions. And one must be careful to balance the torque so there is zero stress on the evaporator pipe. That sucker is aluminum and will snap off with the slightest provocation.

When reassembling, it’s helpful to remember that the joint is sealed with an O-ring. There is no reason for that B nut to be any more than finger tight. Ideally, get some anti-seize compound on the threads – but make sure none gets in the line itself.

2 Likes

S-Type (smehaffe),
What year and model is your Jaguar?

Paul

This one is a 1986 XJ-SC…and I just bought it…and this mechanic has had it for about two months…I paid him 2 grand for parts…and it’s just sitting in his yard,…in the sun…he’s killing the car and he’s killing me…I am so disinclined mechanically…I drive them…I don’t work on them…I am a licensed attorney…and most mechanics just hate me for some reason…I am really, really hurting right now…thanks.

Sounds like its time for an official letter from an attorney :slight_smile:

I’ve thought of that…but he has my car…I just have to get it back in some kind of decent shape…I am so depressed over this…it’s literally ruining me.

It seems pretty simple to me. It is just a car. No need to get emotionally involved. . You are an lawyer. Act as you would if you were representing a client. Give him notice that he must have the work done in a reasonable time (Definite time of your choosing) or you will have the car removed and you will start proceedings to recover the money you have paid him. Pretty sure you will have the work done pretty soon.

2 Likes

Good luck. I hope it works out well.

Sounds like you’re not a candidate for fixer uppers… get a new one… drive and be happy.

1 Like

Jaguars are high maintenance, and the XJS is probably the worst of the bunch, giving the bad reputation of Jaguar for unreliability (anything Leyland). But WE here know how to deal with the shortcomings of a very well-engineered car. So be prepared to pay $$ and time if you can’t work on it yourself. That’s just the car you own.
I’m sure Jay Leno doesn’t lose sleep.

I KNOW exactly how you feel. My mechanic does me the same way. He is absolutely the best on anything including welding, modifications, etc. AND is the most honest in my area. He says I’m one of his best customers who always pays in cash, but he can keep one of cars for 2 months before working on it! The only positive is I know it’s right when I get it back. He’s had a Rolls Royce Shadow that I wanted converted to a GM drivetrain. He has the engine/transmission and everything he asked for. It’s been in his shop for 3 1/2 years with almost nothing done to it!

If you are not absolutely dedicated to your mechanic and know someone else, I would just be honest with him by letting him know you are going to move the car.

My problem is my guy is brilliant, and I have no other choices in my town!

Richard

My God. I just saw one of those in the nether regions of my service truck today. My Lincoln has a stuck evap core fitting I have been afraid to try to twist off. Thanks for the outside the box thought.