My MKII Story Briefly

I Hope you find this interesting I was asked to put finger to keyboard regarding my baby.

I am very happy to share my MKII story hopefully some of you will find it interesting I purchased this vehicle back in April 1988 yes a long long time ago and actually finding it was like a mystery tour I wanted to buy them out to and someone said they had heard of one in a place called Elbridge in Essex and they weren’t sure exactly where it was so I should go well me and my buddy jumped in the car and drove to Maldon Essex and not having a clue where this car was don’t ask me why we did it we’re just stupid I guess, however after driving around we asked a couple of people, hey does anybody know of a MKII for sale around here and one guy said yeah there’s a company over there and they are called Fullbridge Carriage Company Limited try there and lo and behold there it was took it for a drive around the block not too far couldn’t really it needed a bit of work exchanged 1200 pounds for it and took it home in fact if I recall correctly they delivered it to my house because it really wasn’t drivable.

Other than realizing the car was full of plastic padding and have been painted in a horrible green color I didn’t care I was in love with it (bloody rose coloured glasses).

When I did some research it turns out that this car was originally sold from Henley‘s in London it was Sherwood green on the outside suede green on the inside it was sold 4th of December 1964 to a company called The Program Exchange Limited in Golden Square London I have tried to research this company but I’ve had no luck so if anybody knows anything about them that would be great.

When I bought the car I was giving lots of documentation thought this was purely the fact that it had lived in Saudi Arabia

For a number of years and back in 1986 it would appear the owner of the vehicle who had it shipped from United Arab Emirates he was then living in Thailand as I do actually have an address but obviously that was a long long time ago, on the document from a company called Gray McKenzie I am I guess they’re in Dubai there is a document saying that the vehicle is being moved from Dubai to Tilbury Essex England and it says this car is being towed in and will arrive at 9:30 and is to be “stuffed pushed into a container” obviously then it was shipped to Tilbury this was back in 1985 it would appear then at some point it was picked up for recovery from Barking and shipped to Benfleet Essex, I have a document from the United Arab Emirates police but it’s all written in Arabic and I don’t understand that so if anybody speaks Arabic that would be helpful, it seems to be an export document of some description then If you go back to the beginning of the story that’s where I picked it up and this car has had an adventure as I used to live in Essex in England I bought it there and started to work on it and I kept going back-and-forth between getting it running or restoring it.

Well I have been through a number of marriages while I have owned this vehicle and moved house a few times I have moved countries and I have moved states within the country I’m now in which is America finally I’m getting around to restoring it as I’m retired this has to be one of the longest restorations ever undertaken the car currently is in the body shop having its body done I’ve rebuilt the engine that’s ready to go, got to check out the transmission do a couple of other bits underneath the body when I get it back then get the interior done get the brakes done the wiring etc. etc. etc. and who knows maybe sometime next year it’ll be on the road.

I think it’s fair to say since 1986 this car has done more miles in a sea container than it has on the road :slight_smile:

Hope you find that amusing

by the way please check out and maybe subscribe to my YouTube channel ‘jagvette1’

Gary

First photo how she was when I got her
Second photo off to the body shop

1 Like

Gary send me a picture of the note, I have 3 friends who can speak arabic, I‘ll bore them with it. I‘ve subscribed a while ago when you started on the engine. Didn’t you do A series motors too?

DO you have an Email address I can send them to ?, As for A series engine I have stripped and re-built so many engines to me it’s no different.

Thanks for the story, Gary.

1 Like

You can send it to davidsjauch@aol.com (I don’t use that one often and can share that publicly). We‘ll see if they can decipher anything useful…

Thank you for doing this I have sent the documents to you.

Gary

Got them! Give me a few days, I‘ll see what they can do.

All. I gotta say is… EPIC story!

:+1:t2:

1 Like