My new project XK140 SE

A good strategy. Or getting the bodywork done to a point it is rigid enough to be braced up and mounted to a rotisserie. If you are doing a total restoration at some point the body has to come off and then be put back onto the frame. The frame’s the benchmark of the body ensuring good panel fitment in the end product.

1 Like

Thank you both for the tips . It is a good plan .
Jim

Jim it looks like a great project. I have just finished my 120 FHC so if you want any photos of the restora.tion just send me a private email.
Best regards
Phil D

Thanks for that Phil .

Jim

A bit more video , apologies for the poor quality .

1 Like

Actually, you got the hinge boxes out in a pretty good time. I spent a day just on one of mine but the flesh wounds have healed up quite nicely now. A lot of people re-bush the hinges and put some kind of lubrication aid in place at the same time.

BTW, your doors are exactly the same construction as mine. Check for splits in the wood on the hinge end of the door. If you find any and they are not too bad you can glue them back.

Eric

1 Like

More video , of the back seat area.
The progress on the door continues , but I am waiting for a metal folder to arrive to finish it . I have always just used 2 pieces of angle iron before .
Jim

2 Likes

Almost any job on a car is not done till there is blood…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink::joy:

Small update .
I don’t seem to have achieved much over the past week , trying to make things fit .

2 Likes

Nice work Jim, that’s coming along very well! Haven’t got started on my DHC yet, too much else going on, but when I do I need to chat to you about the timber door frames. One of mine has rotted at the bottom but the steel skin is fine - did you have to change any timber, and if so what did you use? I’m surprised the front and rear vertical panels aren’t plywood, I would have expected that to prevent warping.
Roger

On.
Off.
On.
Weld.
Grind.
On. Off.

15 months from now…VOILA!!!

Tin is tin, mate! Yer doing excellent work!

Hi Roger
here is my door repair video .

I had to replace some wood , I guess it should be ash . I use the formula " what have I got in the shed " . I had some timber which I think is teak , I saved it from a mantelpiece I ripped out , it is used for ship building and has a straight clean grain , so should be good .

1 Like

A bit more … rear parcel shelf and seat belt mounting .

1 Like

Teak…claaaassy!

Great work, again!

Side 2

Jim,

Here’s a couple of pics of the petrol filler.

Eric

Thanks Eric.
It looks like a prety standard butt hinge ?
This stainless 2" one looks like it would work ? 99p from Hong Kong ?

Two doors mostly done !

1 Like

Big Jim,I have been watching your progress as I am doing the same. Sill and post replacement are proving to be a challenge. Any tips maestro?
Al @ 1956xk140