My new project XK140 SE

Hi Al
Glad you like them .
The first time you do a new job it is not as good as the second time you do it . I put these videos on so you don’t make my cock-ups .
If I was doing it again I would get the door and front wing /fender and battery box all in place and fitting as best you can then brace the B post in place or lots of measurements , then cut out the sill . Everything starts to move around when you cut bits out .Keep checking the door to wing gap and the bottom edge of the door/ wings , and LOTS of measurement , before cutting .
Good luck
Jim

Big Jim, Thank you for the comments regarding sill replacement. Continuing the process at a carefull pace. Challenging to say the least. Regards, Al

New colour , my take on Old English White .

2 Likes

Good grief, paint already??? You were still removing the harness yesterday!

Is this just shooting some over the underside so you can mount back on the chassis, then have the topside painted later? …and what’s with all the French when I try to click on the photos to enlarge them?

I have to do alot of adjustment which I can’t do till it’s back on the chassis so just painting now what I can’t paint later .
The first forum I was in was the French Estafette, I just got used to using their system for pictures.

The LH footwell in your images looks deeper than the RH footwell? (Certainly a different shape). Maybe it’s just how the photo is taken.

Could that be why the LHD brake pedal is bent forward differently to the RHD brake pedal?

Thay are a different shape . The main body of the left is narrower but that extra lump next to the gear box makes it a bit wider . The both project the same amount from the dashboard

This is the early bulkhead and is different from later 140 FHC’s i will make further comment shortly

there is knob on LH side of bulkhead nearing steering column hole this is unique to early FHC and possibly only LHD car note the varying holes below this for accelerator pedal. What is the chassis number on this 814 something

My number is 814087 .

I removed the data plate from the engine bay. It looks like it is the first time it has been off . I am suprised to see how rough the finish is underneath . It looks like sand under the paint .

I got the rolling chassis back in the garage today and started stripping it . There is surprisingly little to take off once you get into it , should be bare in a couple of days .

Jeebers!

Yer gonna set some kind of record, mate!

Nice tip with the copper, many churches around your neck of the woods without the lightning attraction? Used to be the lead from memory :slight_smile:

I’ve had something like this:

…for about 20 years now, it’s very useful! Similarly if butt-welding very thin steel, a sheet of thick aluminium clamped behind the joint can act as a useful secondary heat sink.

Roger

1 Like