My newly purchased 1986 XJ6

If you open the gas cap and use a screw driver to push open the small sprung flap you should see a short stub of pipe pointing backwards. You may need a flashlight. This is the fuel tank return. If you check while the engine is running you should see gas pouring out (back into the tank). It’s a simple way to confirm which tank fuel is being returned to.
Return should match the tank selected at the dash switch, and should be to one tank or the other only.
This assumes that the changeover valve, which you have already checked out, is working properly so fuel is being drawn from one tank or the other correctly.

David’s posted a picture. Even better!

Regards,

Andy

Thanks David and Andy, the picture is a big help. I’ve done brakes before but not on a Jaguar, but it looks like the PO had the brakes done. The front rotors and pads look pretty new, so they probably were done shortly before the car was parked. So I think it just needs a brake fluid change. I’ll check out the fuel return later today.
Thanks again!
Joe

Joe,
I couldn’t agree more with Kirby on the 7 inch outer headlamps. Attached are pictures of my 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas before and after I installed the 7 inch outer lamps. Frankly, the smaller outer lamps now look a bit silly to me. :wink:
I really got motivated to do this update to my 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas after I got my Canadian market 1990 V12 Vanden Plas and it had the 7 inch outer headlamps. In my opinion the 7 inch outer headlamps make is a major improvement to the front appearance of these cars.

Paul

1 Like

I think I may have a spare 7" head light conversion around some where. PM me if interested.
Also, I would run some Mystery Oil in the tanks early on. Its a marvelous lubricator.
Phillip

1 Like

Hi Paul, your car looks great and I love the color. I’ll have to look into that, I do like the look better than mine.
Thanks,
Joe

Thanks David and Andy, I did take a look and it seems to be working correctly. I saw fuel coming from the tubes according to what position the switch was in left or right. You guys were a big help!
Joe

Are the surrounds the same fitment as a Series 1? If so when shopping on eBay, need to make sure and get the vented ones. Earlier cars had no vents. Paul

1 Like

Joe,
Thank you for the kind words about my 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas. I had the car bare metal repainted in 2007 when I had the front and rear rusted windshield channels repaired. Unfortunately, the rust you see from the outside is just the tip of the iceberg. The color is Antelope (color code AFM). Attached is a picture that I took earlier this week.

Paul

Hi Paul, you’re welcome. The car looks great, that’s definitely a beautiful color. I have some minor rust around the windshield, now you’ve got me worried. Oh well I’ll have to live with it for now.

Take Care,

Joe

Proof of the pudding, Joe - pump running; fuel returning only(!) to the selected tank…

Correct return is easily verified - faulty changeover is not…:slight_smile:

rank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Hi, looks just like my series III. Mine has been in my garage for the last two years due to a rough idle and lack of get up and go. Time to drain the tanks and get her up and running right again. Just curious to what you paid for the cat? My wife is suggesting that I sell mine when I get her purring again. I am obviously hesitant.

JR 1985 XJ6 III

Hello, I need to drain my tanks too, I probably should have done that first. I did see some rust in the right tank when looking thru the gas cap. I have to find out where to buy the drain plug washers first, I’m sure they need replacing. I got a great deal on the car I think, especially with the low miles and the overall condition. I only paid $500. for it, the original owner didn’t need the money and he was in his 80’s. I think he just wanted to get rid of it because he wasn’t driving it anymore. If I were you I would try to get it running right again and then decide from there. Hagerty pricing is around $5,600. in good condition I believe. Good luck with your cat and hopefully you’ll decide to keep it!

Take Care,

Joe

Thanks for your reply. The Nakamichi car stereo I have in the cat is worth more then 500.00. Good luck with everything!

Joe,
You need to purchase a copy of the Jaguar XJ6 Parts Catalogue (see first picture). It will remove a lot of the mystery (misery?) from owning, working on, and buying parts for your XJ6 Sovereign.
The second picture shows the page of the Parts Catalogue with the fuel tank and mountings. The part number for the fuel tank drain plug rubber seal is C26310. I have no idea where in the world you are located, but in the USA there are several sources for Jaguar parts including: XKS Unlimited, Welsh Enterprises, SNG Barratt, MOTORCARS LTD, eBay and of course the local Jaguar dealership if you have one nearby. I shop around for parts and knowing the correct part number by using the Parts Catalogue has saved me much time and money when buying parts for my five Jaguars. I purchased my XJ6 Parts Catalogues on eBay for about $50 USA and I see them listed on eBay regularly.

Paul

You’re welcome, I know I paid about the same for the new Pirelli tires I bought for the car.
Thanks and good luck to you too.
Joe

Thanks Paul, that would be very helpful and I live in Illinois. I haven’t had a Jaguar in a few years so I’m kind of out of the loop on where to buy parts or what vendors are better than others. That’s great you have 5 Jaguars, you must really like them. Thanks again for the information and the part# for the drain plug seal.
Take Care,
Joe

You got a fabulous deal on that car. I also have a 1986 XJ6 as well as the factory color chart for the 1986 model XJ6. If your car was originally painted green, or ‘Jaguar Racing Green’ as it’s referred to in the document, it would have been fitted with a ‘biscuit’ color interior. I don’t know if it’s the lighting in the garage, of the color has faded with time, or your car was custom fitted, but the color of your interior looks more like ‘magnolia’ than ‘biscuit.’ Either way, it looks great. Also, when you mention a 'little rust under the windshield, we don’t know how bad it is. Others on this list have suggested more troubles may lie underneath, but do not despair just yet. I purchased my 1986 car in 1996. It was always garaged by the previous owner as well as myself. When I bought the car, there was a small spot of rust on the lower right side of the rear window near the gas cap. I sanded & painted it with matching factory touch up paint. That was 24 years ago. Today it still remains unchanged.

Thanks, it was a great deal. I believe the interior color is biscuit, I have the original window sticker and I thought it said biscuit. I’ll have to look at it, it probably is the lighting. I know the body color did say Jaguar Racing Green on the sticker. That’s great to hear about your car that you’ve had it for 23 years and the rust spot has never gotten worse. Hopefully I’ll be as fortunate, I’ll have to touch up mine too. Thanks for the reply and positive remarks.

Take Care,

Joe

You are welcome. You will find the Jag Lovers site provides an incredible wealth of information for you to maintain & keep your car running. Listers are more than happy to provide you with sound advice regarding various issues. Often times, seemingly insurmountable problems on these cars can be remedied by cleaning and tightening various connections, and/ or replacing parts which are reasonably priced and easy to change yourself. Please keep us updated on your progress with the car.
Good luck!

Mel R.

2 Likes

Be aware that the fuel feed; tank to pump/fuel rail, is an entirely different circuit from the fuel return, Joe…

A failed return valve will still give correct return, so the changeover valve must be checked separately. As the return is easily verified; it’s the first thing to check if something goes wrong with the fuel system flow. Ie, any return fault must be rectified before proceeding…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)