My oil cap is stuck :(

I can’t budge the damn thing. I don’t remember powering it on. Any tips for loosening a stubborn cap without ruining it? I tried my oil filter pliers but they’re a little too wide. Is it easier to remove when cold?

I’ve always had trouble getting one off of a hot engine. I’ll confess to more than once using a pair of channel locks to loosen mine. Apply carefully, but firmly, and don’t let the jaws slip on the serrations and you shouldn’t hurt the cap. I’ve never bothered but you might cushion the edge with a few layers of duct tape before using the channel locks.

I replaced the gasket with a large “O” ring, and have to be careful to not tighten it mcuh. I think I used a small oil filter wrench once (for small filters).
LLoyd

What John said: large channel locks, properly used. Did it for YEARS on Tweety’s cap…no damage.

I, too, used a large o-ring on mine. Seals better and easier to get off.

In one of the few instances of OCD in me, I machined the cap such that, when tight, the “JAGUAR” letters were parallel to the engine’s longitudinal axis…:yum:

I don’t think I have channel locks that big, maybe my pipe wrench will fit.

Engine cold is the key, otherwise use one of those “jar opener” round, grippy, rubbery pads and either a “swift sharp shock” by hand and/or the aid of a large pliers-like tool (pipe wrench should work.

My $.02

Huff
69 2+2

Here’s a thought. Do you have one of those grippy rubber things people use to help get a grip on jar lids?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Grip-Natural-Rubber-Jar-Opener/dp/B008W052RQ

Now that I think about it, one might be a good thing to carry in the glove box.

Edit: I see Huff hit his send key before I did. Great minds and all that.

Erica, Erica, Erica: a MUST-HAVE in your tool box!!

https://m.harborfreight.com/4-piece-tongue-and-groove-joint-pliers-set-43553.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

I use a strap wrench to loosen mine. I carry one in the console so I have it when I need to add oil on the road. Helps if the engine is cold rather than hot from driving.
Len Wheeler
Tucson

Got it, cold was the key takeaway. I tried a plain rubber jar opener and it wasn’t budging. Too hard to get a firm grip because it’s so shallow. I wonder if one of these would work? I found it on a senior citizen site :tired_face:

I must admit to the same problem Wiggles, did it on my 3.8 S type

A spin off oil filter tool that has self tightening jaws would probably do the job.

I agree, a fabric web strap wrench is the way to go on this. you can remove the cap when the engine is hot. If you add one to the old tool chest you will find many uses for it.

Erica,
I saw a mechanic take a large screw driver and hammer to it. Before I could object it was to late, the cap was off. Yes it was my car when I first bought it in 1978.
good luck
Benny

Like Len - I like the strap wrench for both a tight cap and a hot cap.

Buy the set - one for in the car and one for in the kitchen.

For aligning the cap I added a few paper gaskets to the cap.

I would use this , had mine for years ,:sunglasses: