Mystery 16" magnesium wheel

Anyone recognise this early 16" magnesium wheel design? Pirelli tire. Unknown maker.

A little voice says to me it looks like a prewar Continental wheel. Similar to some BMW 328 s

I thought 1940’s too, but then someone on another site found these photos from 1964. Of course, 16" wheels would have been obsolete by 1964, so I think the wheels have to be much older than that. Photos of a Kurtis 500S/Chevrolet at Pike Peak,

1 Like

Certainly appears you’ve ID’ed the mystery wheel.

We still don’t know who manufactured them, or when. They look like they should have been Halibrand. Most of Halibrand’s molds survived through a couple of corporate owners, and no one can ever recall seeing another set like these. They almost certainly have to be much older than 1964. The 16" tire size would have been nearly obsolete by then. The Pirelli tires would be an unusual choice for an American racing car in 1964. Maybe they were judged to be the best available for the rough, abrasive Pikes Peak? Not that they did not exist, but I don’t think I have ever seen a Pirelli competition tire?

I’ll throw in with the Halibrand guess, if only because of the photographic provenance ya dug up.

In ‘64 (the first year Dad ran the Peak) the hot shoes were Goodyear Blue Steak gum balls, made especially for the Peak.

When I say gummy, they were like art gum erasers! They had ground-up walnut shells in them, would last for exactly 12 miles, and were about $30/per.

Dad ran street snow tires, for his practice days, so as to cut costs.

1 Like