Mystery Filler Tube

I’ve looked but not found. My 92 SJSC has an LS1/4L60E.
The filler tube at the right front of the engine bay is trashed. The hose leads into the right wheel well. I thought this might have been the window washer filler/reservoir, but it has trans fluid in it. Was this the filler tube for the Jag transmission? If so, how did the fluid circulate from this tube to the tranny itself?

Post a picture, worth the proverbial.

1 Like

So there are the pictures.

NBI (no bloody idea) very Heath Robinson have you tried tracing it back to where its connected.

On the facelift cars, past MY '92, that is the filler for the windshield washer fluid.
Obviously, you are missing the cap.

That’s what I was about to say too. Odd to have trans fluid in it, unless someone accidentally put trans fluid in the washer reservoir instead of the power steering one. Either way it would make for a VERY messy windshield!

Jason, if that’s what happened I want to know what and how much the PO was drinking before he decided tranny lube was equivalent to window washer fluid. These cars had headlight washers and windshield washers. I don’t know if both used the same reservoir/pump or had separate systems. If this filler did lead to a washer reservoir, it is in a forward compartment in the passenger wheel well behind the headlight. Having served as an emergency source of trans fluid, I will probably have to junk it. Just in terms of logistics, seems like a good location for a [not the] radiator expansion tank using what is already there as a remote filler, with the windshield fluid reservoir on the other side close to its pump. I think the windshield washer pump is on the driver’s side fender just forward of the radiator expansion tank.
It is sometimes difficult with converted vehicles to determine what is original and what may have been relocated.

1 Like

It is completely full of trans fluid, or is that what you can see? Just thinking trans fluid might float on washer fluid. If they went to top up the power steering and the bottle went “glug”, then without a cap on it, some could have gotten in by accident. I think the best bet is what was said earlier and see exactly what it’s connected to under the wheel well cover. And yeah I thought it looked odd but my brain didn’t register that the overflow was missing. :disappointed:

Oh, c’mon, you know it’s simpler than that. “Hey, what’s this tube on the right side of the engine?”

“Oh, that’s for the transmission. Should have some ATF in there.”

1 Like

My bet, previous owner lost cap. Then maybe once or twice accidentally spilt power steering fluid into that while checking/filling. I assume that is power steering reservoir next to it? And P/S fluid looks just like ATF.

Overfill the reservoir with water and use wool or fleece to suck away the oil on top.

Richard - you are calling the liquid transmission fluid, but if going by color, it may be washer fluid only, since that does come in other color besides blue - I suggest siphoning a small amount out to check .

2 Likes

NOPE!!! That car is powered by an LT1 GM engine. The PS resevoir is alongside the mystery tube.

A PO has installed it for a yet unknown purpose.

The means of adding fluid to the transmission is further aft. The same tube has the dip stick to measure the level/ A scabbed in means to fill that is easier???

What does the tube lead to?

I am now thinking Terry is correct. Assuming it was the washer, I disconnected the hose and got a flood of red somewhat oily liquid onto the asphalt at the curb. Quickly reinstalled the hose and threw a rag over the puddle. Seemed a bit too oily for the cheap blue washer fluid I’m familiar with. The rag’s been there for a few days and I just picked it up. There is a dark spot on the ground, but not particularly oily. Nor is the the rag as oily as I would expect for having sopped up a pint or more of tranny fluid.
Not only is the cap missing but the filler is missing a chunk. To retain this as the washer filler, I’d have to find a donor car.
I’d still prefer to have the radiator expansion tank on the right side where the radiator filler is, and the washer on the left where it’s pump is. I guess Jag located them as they did because the v12 engine bay was a lot more crowded and less accommodating than it is with the LS1.