Mystery Rattle Finally Solved!

YES !! I am one happy camper.

You wouldn’t think that something as trivial as an occasional rattle under the car could eventually drive you crazy … but over the the past 6 months it almost did. I could never quite duplicate it. Driving over rough roads maybe it would do it but probably not. It was truly a phantom rattle/bump.

Check all the exhaust and fittings … All OK there (but I did need to fiddle with two of the heat shields) … Rattle still there

Change the front shock absorber bushings … Rattle still there

Change both motor mounts … Rattle still there

I probably jacked up my car half a dozen times to pull, tug, and wiggle everything in sight with no success. This became really personal and frustrating. It was DEFINITELY effecting my pleasurable driving experience.

Even though the rear transmission mount seemed nice and tight (and I’d rebuilt it once before but who knows when) out of desperation I ordered the 2 new springs and isolator. When I pulled out and disassembled the mount I was really bummed because the springs looked really good with no sag whatsoever and the isolator still looked new. I rather despondently put in the new parts and … IT WORKED. NO MORE NOISE.

Moral of the story … Don’t give up

3 Likes

Wow Grooveman …

Umm … Great write up ! Thanks for taking the time !!

1 Like

Welcome to the club! :roll_eyes: