Mystery Red Wire

I removed my Bonnet (hood) a while back to replace the water pump and can’t seem to find where the RED wire in the picture goes or hooks up to. I know the RY is for Fog lamps (which I don’t have), the UW (Blue/White) is for the inner Headlamp, the B is Ground (also plugs into inner Headlamp) but have no idea where the Red wire connects. Any suggestions?

The only plain red I can think of in that area is the parking/marker lights, Jag.Man…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I agree with Frank.

If your parking and marker lamps are already plugged-in, it might be an extra wire for ‘city lights’ which were used in some markets.

Cheers
DD

Thanks for responding Frank and Doug. The Parking and Marker lamps are working without the Red wire plugged in.

The whole story is as follows. After replacing the water pump and getting it back together enough to run (which included putting the fan blade back on) I took it for a drive to check for leaks etc. While driving, the wire in the photo got caught in the fan blade and was ripped apart leaving the wires in Photo 1.

Photo 2 is a photo I got off the internet and the red arrows point to the wires in question. Notice the fork in the wires on the passenger side that run down for the headlight connection, I’m missing that whole group of wires and I’m not clear which ones they are.

On the driver side there are 4 wires, Solid Red, Blue & Red, Yellow & Red and Blue & White. The Blue & White wire is a heaver gauge than the other three (14g I believe) the other wires are 16g. On the passenger side there are 3 wires, Solid Red, Blue & Red, and Blue & White, only here the Blue & White wire is the same gauge as the other wires.

I’m assuming the 14g Blue & White splits into two 16g wires at the fork so the real question here is what wires do I need to run to the passenger side light in the bonnet. For sure I believe the UW (Blue/White) which powers the headlamp along with the Ground that is in place. I can run the RY (Red/Yellow) for the Fog lights just in case I ever want to add them. I don’t see a need to run the Red wire to the Headlamp location.

So just to be clear, the Parking & Marker lamps are working now without the wires repaired. Doug mentioned “City Lights” a term I have not heard before. Was that the small lamp inside the main Headlamp on some models? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you.

Seek out jaguar Schematic S 57. it will Id the wires by color code and location.,

Carl

Every Jaguar owner should have one.

Thanks Carl, I did a quick search and couldn’t find “Schematic S 57”. Could you point me to the location?

Hi Jagman check your msgs for a link to the S57. Really handy document.
Con244

No sign of the wire remnants at the other end, Jag.Man…?

Blue/red and blue/white are headlights wires - they originate at the light relay (check wire gauge there), and goes to the headlight fuse box on the left wing. From there (check wire gauges) they go to the headlamps, outer and inner; the outers have both colors - the inners have only blue/red, and to the high beam warning lamp on the dash.

While getting the ‘S57’, or any proper wire diagrams, is a necessity; no wire diagrams show the routing of the wires, which may or may not differ between RHD and LHD. Which is a problem with the wires torn as shown; do they ‘come from’ or ‘go to’ the various items connected. It needs some on site thinking, though someone with the LHD may advise…?

Neither red nor yellow/red is shown on the headlight schematics, but red is, as said, associated with par/marking lights. Yellow/red is associated with fog lights - starting at the light switch.

There is no easy solution, but the wiring diagrams will show what is connected to what. The actual routing of the wires are not electrically important - the sole purpose of the diagrams is to show connections…:slight_smile:

With bare wires insulated you may test what is working/not working - and take it from there…?

Frank

Yes.

The only things I can think of at that end of the car are exterior lights, horns, and electric cooling fan. As mentioned, solid red is associated with parking and marker lamps. I perused the diagrams and couldn’t come up with any other possibilities…although I’m only on my first cuppa coffee.

It isn’t unusual to find extra, unused wires on these cars.

Lacking an epiphany, I’d shrug it off until or unless you discover something that isn’t working.

Cheers
DD

Thanks Doug, I’ve come to the same conclusion. I appreciate your input and that of the others.

I’m going to move forward with what I know and finish this project.

Get BlueMail for Android

Thanks Frank, actually the Inner Headlamps are Blue/White, however, there was no sign of the wires that went to the Inner Headlamps. I will run the Blue/White and Red/Yellow to the passenger side inner lamp and call it good. As Doug and I have talked about some models have a small bulb inside the headlamp that stays on for what we call DRL “Daytime Running Light” which I don’t have on my Jag. Thanks to everyone for their help, much appreciated.

They are actually 5W bulbs when originally fitted, Jag.Man - and thus illegal for driving in most countries.
That said, the loose red is likely meant for this purpose, and thus left unconnected - as was Jaguar practice…

To emphasize; ex factory the blue/white is configured for ‘high’ beam - powering the inners and the ‘high’ beam outers from the relay - can’t understand how I could get it wrong; senior moment…? :slight_smile:

At the fuse box the wires are connected for, ‘left’ and ‘right’ side - this to divide and reduce the current through the wires/fuse box; high beam fuses 35A, low beam 20A. All bulbs are connected in parallel, of course.

Do not(!) connect the red/yellow to the inner; those wires are for fog lamps - and are powered only with light switch in ‘fog’ position. Connected as you intend will power the red/yellow in high beam - which may, depending on configuration, confuse light relay power delivery…

Frank

I have the same Red wire too.
Checked and it’s not for side/city lights.
A mystery indeed…

Could it have anything to do with the headlight wash/wipe system fitted to some cars? I think those operated only with lights ‘on’…so maybe the mystery red wire ties in somehow?

Cheers
DD

Thanks to all for your help and expertise. The Jag-lovers forum is an invaluable source of information for Jag owners, don’t know what we would do without it. I’ll post a picture of the final repair when finished.

I thought of that, but the headlight washers are on the other side, on the outer headlights, no?.

And the headlamp washer system does not use reds, Aristides - it’s more likely to be the unused headlight marker light?

As an aside; since the wires crossing the radiator were torn off; isn’t it likely that the connection between fuse box and the ‘right’ side headlamps was also cut? However, testing will tell…

Frank

Hi Frank, just to be clear, all the parking/marker lights and the right side headlamp are working with the break in the wires. Thanks for asking the question.

Well that was clear as mud. it should have read “LEFT side headlamp”, the Right is NOT working.
Sorry for the confusion.

Which means that the ‘right’ side wires between the fuse box and the those headlamps was indeed torn out, Jag.Man - new wires needed…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe UK/NZ)