Mystery XK engine!

Hi all,

Ive been going thro Jaguar info for a while now trying to identify the engine ive got in an XK150.
Sorry if this is a subject thats already been done to death but im struggling to pin it down.

The car in question is an 1958 XK150. I know that the engine has been replaced as its now fitted with a 3.8 rather than a 3.4. What I would like to know is what the engine was fitted to originally.

Ive got the following info from it.

The block has cast into it C20012 FF just below the head gasket on the inlet side and 0-12-63 low down on the exhaust side, just above the sump.
Sadly the engine number stamped on it has been changed so is not accurate.

The head has the following marks - 11410 stamped on low down on the inlet side timing chain area, ‘N’ cast in the spark plug valley between plugs 3 and 4 and E90 cast in at the rear of the head, again in the plug valley. Its also painted orange, but im not sure thats original either!
Cast on the underside on the exhaust side is C14957 and C1186 and on the inlet side there is 343P.

To add to this the engine is fitted with a winged sump which sadly means that there is no room for the exhaust down pipes!

If any one can point me in the right direction to identify this I would be really appreciative. Its been frustrating me for a while!!!

Also, my winged sump will be looking for a new home, possibly in exchange for a straight sided sump??!!

Thank you
Matt

The winged sump was used on saloons.
Very hard to get the XK/E type sump, they are rare and expensive.
About the head, is this a SP head or a normal B-type head?
( SP head, at the front a sparkplug, B-Head at the front a bold )
Can’t find your numbers is the Engine or Head Number Data I have!

Regards,
Peter jan

1 Like

C.14956/1 is the head listed in the parts catalogue for 3.8 Mark 2.
C.14956 is the head listed for 3.4 XK150.
C.14958 is the head listed for 3.8 XK150.

3.8 Mark X used blocks C.19292, C.19983 and C.22290.
3.8 Mark 2 used blocks C.17567 and C.26448.
3.8 Mark IX used block C.17200/1.
3.8 XK150 used block C.16020.

I don’t have any information on E-type.

These are only the spare part numbers listed in the SPCs, and bear in mind that the casting number may not necessarily be the part number of the finished part.

Some pictures might help.

Thankyou for your quick replies!

Yes will post some photos when I’m back home later this week.

Thanks for the info re the head. I’m now sure I have a straight port head. I’m wondering if the block and head could be from an E now. Why it’s been fitted with a winged sump is anyone’s guess although I think the 'rare and expensive ’ would probably be a factor!

One other thought I have had is how important is the damper on the front pulley? I know that, for example,the big Healeys can suffer with crank problems without the damper pulley. Mine has had the pulley modified to run extra belts to drive an aircon compressor.

Will post some pics up later in the week.

Many thanks to all

Hi Matt,

I was wondering if you have those pictures and how you made out with the winged sump? I have a similar problem and I believe an E type 3.6 sump will work and also a 4.2 sump with an adapter kit will work. The winged sumps are not worth much unfortunately, and as stated earlier the e type ones are rare and expensive. I believe it’s a 9" harmonic balancer with a double groove pulley.
Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Thanks

Matt,

I’m pretty sure that you have a MK10 engine there. Some of the number that you quote are the same as a MK10 engine that I have sitting in my garage. your casting date is 8 days younger than mine

Art