'Nails' cast into the block?

While chipping away the light coat of stuff on the bottom inside the water jacket, I saw what looks like a nail head stuck between the 1 & 2, and 2 & 3 cylinders. They’re both in about the same position and attitude in their respective cylinders. Someone at our Brit car club’s breakfast this morning mentioned that many blocks have these. They are some type of leftover from casting, perhaps pins that held something in place during casting(?).
Does anyone have more information please? I’m trying to get a cheapo borescope working so that I can get a better view of them.
Thanks.

Bob;
I found ‘stuff’ (wire and pieces of stuff) when I cleaned the water jacket of my engine also. My brother told me that was material contained in the casting sand and it was no big deal. As older brothers are always right I did not research it further.
Say hello the George for me, he helped me a great deal with my A/C.

Regards, Joel.

George is still around and active on other forums that appreciate his expertise. He is currently at Jaguar Headquarters for the Annual General Meeting of the JCNA. He also is handling the tools, library and donated cars in Columbia, SC for the Coventry Foundation. I was just out there last week. A real sight to behold on all that has been done for the Heritage of the Jaguar Automobile and preserving it’s history. Worth a stop if you are in the area.

Dick, does the JNCA have a valve shim kit that one can borrow/rent long with special tools?
Thanks

As far as I know, they do not. Best thing to do is contact them. Worst case is to measure and figure out what you need and buy them. Some of what you have will go in other positions to adjust them if you are lucky. Then you will be on your way to a shim kit of your own.

I gave a collection of shims to the San Diego chapter of JCNA several years ago so they have some.
pauls

Or you could just let Coventry West adjust your valves (but do not let anyone in fornt of my work, Dick…) JS

The Standard blocks had wires inside as well. They were left in there and were probably there to hold the mold in place. Check the #pre-xk list I think, there are pictures. I‘d say they are a normal relic of the casting process.

Here: What is Lurking Behind Your Core Plugs?

Maybe not a nail, but I pulled this rod out a TR6 head a few years ago after a valve job. I had the head sitting on my bench and just happen to notice what looked like piece of hanger wire through one of the water jackets. It took me a little while to extrude it with some needle nose pliers. I have no idea how it got in there but I do recall the PO stating the car always ran hotter than what he thought was normal. Not sure if it could have been linked to this or not.

Kevin

That’s what I recalled from the Standard block. The sand core must be held in place by this thick wire. With the diameter of the coolant passage I have to doubt that it impacts cooling performance, although with turbulence, etc. you can‘t tell…

It’s fairly standard procedure on a complex casting to make cores in multiple parts, and pin them together with short bits of wire.

At least it was during the 3 months I spent in a foundry during my apprenticeship.

I kinda figured but it’s nice to get confirmation. When I saw the first one I freaked, but calmed down at sighting the second one. More than one means someone did it on purpose.