Navigation Nightmare!

Greetings All,

I bought my new (to me) CPO 2016 F-Type on January 25. I’d found it online, 300+ miles from home at a dealer in Dallas. The color, trim, mileage, and price were right, so I decided it was worth the trip up there to get it.

I absolutely love the car, and it appeared absolutely pristine, but on my way home, I discovered that the Navigation system was not working. It was showing my location as a couple hundred miles West of my actual location!

Well, being as the car is fully warranted under the CPO program, and the nearest dealer(s) to me (Houston and Baton Rouge) are considerably closer than Dallas, I opted to take my car to Baton Rouge to have the Nav system fixed.

They did a software download, replaced the “antenna module” twice, two wiring harnesses, the control head, and (according to the invoice) the “CD Changer”! When all was said and done, they also had to replace almost all of the interior trim in the back of the car. For 36 days, I exchanged texts, e-mails, and phone calls with the dealer and with Jaguar USA Customer support. Most of the communications I received consisted of, “We’re so sorry for the delay. We are awaiting support from the Tech Engineers,” or, “We’re waiting for parts”.

I just couldn’t believe it took 5 weeks to diagnose & repair a faulty Nav system! What was particularly bad was that it was 5 weeks out of the first 6 weeks I’ve owned the car!

Finally got the car back on Friday, and everything seems to be working right. To their credit, the dealer did give me a loaner - a very nice E-Pace, but come on! That’s no F-type!

Guess I’m really just venting, but I have to wonder if this is what I should expect for service on my Jags in the future? Or was it, perhaps, just the dealer in Baton Rouge? Anyone have any similar experiences, or suggestions?

Seems to me your glass is all but a sip full, covered under warranty, loner car, fully repaired in the end, and replaced damaged trim. I’ve heard much worse stories. It makes me scared to buy one without a warranty though. :wink:

2 Likes

You’ve got a good point, Erica - but it sure was a frustrating 5 weeks! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Add to that that I can’t figure out what could have possibly gone wrong. Do you know what fixed it in the end? On the plus side, you now have a newer car than before…

I got so much conflicting information from them that it’s impossible to tell. So far, I’ve narrowed it down to:

Antenna
Roof Pod
Module-Information
Cable - Aerial Coax
Harness
Pod-Electronic
Lead-Link
Tailgate Harness
Compact Disc Changer
InControl Touch Plus Front Control Module
or, the Multi Function Touch Screen Display Module.

Not sure what sequence they replaced all this stuff in. I do know they replaced the antenna and roof module twice, and I believe the tailgate harness as well. Can’t help but think that someone’s diagnostic ability is sorely lacking (or they kept breaking stuff while trying to install it!)!

The car only had 11,000 miles on it, so this was some pretty invasive surgery!

Anyway, everything seems to be just fine now, and I’m enjoying the heck out of the car!

Seems like they had as much trouble with it as anyone. Amazing - I guess, after changing what makes sense (the computer), the fault was still present and nobody knew where it came from. And they probably broke things, too. But hey, it works now! Thank you for the extensive answer, have fun!
David

PS - I know somebody who tore down a complete car as an apprentice not long ago. Nobody understood the problem and he was cheap labor, so he went through the whole thing, completely down to the last nut and bolt. The car was written off, of course, but the reason was a painted, thus missing ground. The system tried to communicate but the power took the wrong routes, the current backfed, so there were infrequent crashes. Ground fixed, and everything worked flawlessly.

Like sooooo many dealers are, and have been, they’re usually not good diagnosticians.

They are parts changers. Glad it was under warranty!

Try the same problem, but on a multi-million dollar mainframe, back in the 1980s. My then employer had purchased a brand new Control Data Corp. Cyber mainframe. It took months to build and finally arrived in Norway. The thing was so large it occupied an entire train car. Once installed and assembled by Control Data personnel, it showed a disturbing tendency to crash from day 1. In the end, Control Data shipped an entire new mainframe from Minnesota to Norway. Arriving by train from Oslo, the train caught fire and the replacement mainframe burned to a crisp. Control Data built yet another one, and this time it arrived safely. When crews were disassembling the original machine, they discovered that a bolt that was supposed to run through all the circuit boards in the CPU cabinet, grounding them to the backplane, was loose. A 50 cent bolt, that someone had forgotten to tighten properly. Imagine the facepalms all around.

640px-PAVE_Paws_Computer_Room

At least you got it working.
Don’t know what your 2016 sat nav is like, but my 2015 is crap. The map has one good feature, that’s the split screen. The rest including the screen information, travel time information and user interface, just utter infant stage development stuff. My 2010 Audi S5 had a much better system.
The rest of the infotainment is mediocre at best.
The car drives like nothing else and puts a smile on my face every single time I push the start button.