Need a Bonnet Catch for a '54 XK120 OTS

Hello, I’m looking for a bonnet catch assembly (part # BD 2950) and guide plate (part# BD 2952) for an XK120 OTS. Has anyone compared the reproductions to originals? Can anyone recommend a good source? Or does anyone have one or both available?

Thank you in advance for any and all information!

James Lawrance in UK or Coventry Auto Components (I think they source them from James).

Tadek

Are Mark VII parts the same?

That appears to be the same as my '53 OTS latch.

They do appear to be the same, though I’m not certain. I’m assuming they’d have the same part number, but I haven’t found a reference for the MKVII parts to confirm - still looking.

I found a website for Coventry Auto Components (https://coventryautocomponents.co.uk/index.html), but could not find contact information for James Lawrence. Any relation to Bill Lawrence & Son (Unit 7, Sway Park Industrial Estate, Lymington, Hants, SO41 6BA, UK, Phone/fax +44 1590 683288)?

The Mark VII book gives numbers that are not BD format, probably using the component supplier’s part numbers. That’s why I ask if they are the same.
The price is right, as I owe the forum; someone else recently gave me some parts. I just don’t want to send them if they are not right.

NickB. Yep, One of the same. Father and son. Highly recommended.
Cheers Phil…

1 Like

Rob, The measurements of the XK120 Guide Plate are as follows:

3 13/16 inches long edge to edge
3 1/8 inches between the bolt hole centers measured the long way
2 9/16 edge to edge measured the short way
1 1/2 inch between the bolt hole centers measured the short way
The receiving hole diameter is 1 1/4 inches
The raised parts of the plate are 15/32 high measured from a flat surface the plate would be sitting on

If these measurements match the MKVII parts, then it’s safe to say they’re the same part
Nick

I get 3-3/16" here.
Otherwise everything appears to be the same.
The guide piece with all the bends is distorted but not torn so I think it can be straightened to the right shape in a bench vise.

How is it you know all the measurements?

I measured the plate on another 120. Hence, I couldn’t measure the catch assembly.

Yeah, that might lead to a slight error in the measurement, so we’ll assume these Mark VII parts are the same parts. Do you need the big peg as well? There is supposed to be a spring that goes on the peg but I don’t have that.
Send me your address offline and I’ll put them in the mail to you.
Rob

Speak to Stuart or email him at Coventry Auto Components, formerly XK Parts until Jaguar got heavy with him.

1 Like

No longer have this assembly but found these photos, might help !
Peter BIMG_0963 IMG_0962 IMG_0964

Great pictures. Thank you Peter

Here’s an update on the MKVII catch assembly and strike plate vs. the XK120 parts, and another question about the MKVII strike plate:

Thank you again, Bob, for the MKVII parts. Here’s what the catch assembly looks like after a little clean up:

This part appears to be identical to the XK120 part (and, incidentally, the MkIX part).

Here’s another picture of the MKVII strike plate from a different angle:

Note that the flanges are elevated above a level surface. Does anyone know if this is how this part looked originally? The flanges on the XK120 part sit flat on a level surface (even with the center section).

I compared these parts to those on a MKIX and the MKIX plate is identical to the XK120 plate. I’ve not had access to a MKVII to make a comparison, but I doubt if Jaguar would have changed the part between the VII and IX.

If this part is distorted, I think I can reshape it and make it work, but if it is as it should be on a MKVII, I’d rather see it go back on the correct car.

Does anyone have any more info on the strike plate?
Thank you!

Nick I think I have the plate and catch but I’m on vacation in fla until April 26. If interested contact me after that and I’ll check and let you know. It is from a late xk120. Jack

Hi Nick,
I think I said when I sent it that it was probably distorted.
Near as I can tell from these Mark VII pictures, it is mounted on a flat panel.

MgtSes
HIOfNG

So unless it is too long and the center hole in the wrong place, I think it should be the same as for XKs.

I believe the xK120 140 and the MK7 are very similiar BUT I think the little lever that has the clamp for cable sticks out (longer) about 1/2 inch further on the 7?
certainly absolutely no reason it won’t work

Bob’s MKVII pictures look very similar, if not identical, to this picture I took of a MKIX, so it appears that Jaguar kept the same latch assembly and strike plate across all of these models.

As Bob mentioned, the strike plate is probably distorted from it’s original shape. I’m curious as to how and why this came to be. The reshaping is so uniform, it seems unlikely to have happened by chance. Could it have been used on another Jaguar model or even on another make? That’s probably a question for a separate discussion.

I’ve learned much from this exchange and I’m grateful to all.