Need advice on bonnet fitting - was: High profile bonnet hinges

Ole,

thank you for sharing your measurements. I have printed them and will compare them tomorrow morning.

• Manfred

Colin,

your idea regarding the relocation of the ā€œbracket and hinge pointā€ sounds great. If all else fails (if I cannot pinpoint a single root cause), I will seriously consider it.
Today I have checked the straightness of the engine frames in relation to the cars floors (which I think is the datum line). I used a self levelling laser which showed the frames to be parallel within a Millimeter. Tomorrow, I will measure the sills in regards to the lower edge of the door opening as per your suggestion.

• Manfred

Post deleted to prevent confusion.

Hello Geoff,
Youā€™re looking at the alignment chart for an S1/S2. Manfredā€™s car is an S3. The 6 oā€™clock point on the circumference of the bonnet hinge tube should be inline with the floor panel, which is the datum for vertical dimensions. A bit of a clumsy way of referencing that particular component, which for Manfredā€™s problem is quite important.

Regards,

Bill

Thankyou for correcting that.

Geoff,

That would have been the explanation for my problem. However, as Bill pointed out (thanks for that), the S3 is different from the S1/2 in that the lower edge of the engine frame is parallel to the floor (at least, the picture in the manual shows it this way). I did take a look at the S1/2 alignment chart which shows them having an upward angle.

• Manfred

Manfred. Sorry for the red herring and thanks to Bill fo correcting it. It is good that your problem is not frame alignment as that co7ld be quite difficult to correct. Geoff.

Hello Manfred,
As Iā€™ve stated before, donā€™t assume that your new Hinge Frame is correct, just because it is new. Iā€™ve had two sets of new Engine Frames on the trot that have been incorrect.

I would be checking the location of the bore for the hinge fulcrum against the alignment check chart in the S3 Repair/Operation Manual. However, although not having confirmed that every dimensions listed is correct, I know for certain that dimension X listed in that chart is incorrect by approximately 5mm (as dimension X is from the centre line, the width from the corresponding features of each side is wrong by approximately 10mm). Accordingly, even that chart canā€™t be relied upon 100%.

If you do decide to make the check and find that there are dimensions that are quite an amount out, post them here and Iā€™ll check any that you have doubts about against a pristine car.

Regards,

Bill

ā€œā€¦Iā€™ve had two sets of new Engine Frames on the trot that have been incorrectā€¦ā€

Would you mind telling us where the ā€œbadā€ engine frames came from?

Hello Les,
PM Sent.

Regards,

Bill

Or maybe even more importantly where the good ones have come from.

I can answer that. E-type Fabs.

(Btw, J-L, I object to the software registering an edit when I havenā€™t made one. In this case deleting a quote from the previous post. If you donā€™t want me to use the quote function then donā€™t allow it.)

ā€œā€¦I can answer that. E-type Fabsā€¦ā€

I had an offline chat with a lister today and couldnā€™t recall the name of Urkā€™s company, where I purchased my frames from. Thanks for the memory Jog Nickā€¦

Any time, old boyā€¦
ā€¦