Need help with spare tire well finishers

I’m working on my 53 FHC project, trying to complete the boot fittings, and I’m stumped - perhaps someone can help. My estate-purchased car was disassembled long ago by the po, and I’m missing the finishing pieces that go between the body and recess in the fuel tank. There doesn’t seem to be a photo in any of my books, nor am I finding any reference in parts. There are three captive nuts on the rear (body side) of the opening on each side. Any help would be much appreciated.
Now, if I can figure out how to post the photos…

I have the exact same condition in my 1953 fhc. I would love to see a clear explanation and/or diagrams of how to fill this space. I have been watching for information on how to do this for a while now but it seems to be an area with very little information.

If I understand this question correctly there are 2 Ali finishers. see photo

Well that’s interesting. Not what I would have guessed. Thanks!

I’ve attached photos of the original finishing pieces from my November 1953 OTS. They are constructed of flat aluminum sheet with two 90 degree folds. One fold is along the bottom and the other fold is on the fuel tank side. There are three holes drilled to attach the panels to the captive nuts. The left panel has a metal loop pop-riveted to it to hold the rubber boot that the jack slides into. Both panels were originally painted black like the fuel tank. The approximate size of the panels is 3.75" X 7.25". The folds are .75".

Ok, that looks more like what Jaguar would have done. Thank you very much!

Perfect. Thanks for that.

As I look at this more closely, there are three horizontal slots (not holes) to attach the panels to the captive nuts. The slots are 1/2 inch long, and they allow the panels to be adjusted fore or aft before tightening the setscrews. The setscrews appear to be 2 BA. - Mike Balch

Every really fastidious restorer will no doubt want to replicate this little known special feature, the extra holes punched in the wrong place.

Oh, Joy.:smile:
Maybe mine is the later, modified version.

I expect I will be able to do that as a matter of course. Measure once cut (punch) twice. :grinning:

Not only that Rob, but this will undoubtedly be on the ‘must check’ list for future concours.

If you really want a 100 point car, it’s probably a good idea to add extra holes on all surfaces, in anticipation of future discoveries such as yours…

1 Like