Need Sanden compressor for Mark X

Hi All:

The original York compressor on my 66 4.2 Mark X (US model) has bitten the dust. I understand that there are Sanden 7series compressors that will fit, apparently with a converter plate.

The trail gets vague and confusing at that point. Has anyone actually done this on a Mark X and can they point me to the specific converter plate they used and any issues fitting the Sanden. I’ll be converting to R134 of course.

The original system worked fine for decades and even fired up 2 summers ago with a shot of R12…
t

Yes, I fitted a Sanden 7 series compressor,

for the plate, search Ebay for “York to Sanden conversion plate” or similar, cost me about $50, its one of the most common conversions, lots of older vehicles had Yorks.

Did have to swap my alt and compressor, so the compressor is high mount

Great, thanks. I see several plates for the York to Sanden conversion. I guess any of them will work? Is there a particular Sanden 5 or 7 series I should get? I saw somewhere where the Sanden 5 is a more robust compressor and better for bigger engines. I believe that the plate goes on top of the existing York plate?

The York I have has the valves on top at the front so the hoses come in across the top flat.

Did you have to swap the alternator and compressor for some reason? I’d rather not get into that.

Really appreciate the advice. Any particular vendors who can be helpful over the phone in pinpointing specifics??

I personally dont see why a S7 is needed, perhaps a series 5 will be big enough…I would advise consult with an auto aircon pro about that

I cant remember why I moved my alt to top mount, except to say mine was not A/C originally, the alt was bottom mounted.

If you have a low mount compressor, I imagine you could retain that position

btw, the York is easy to rebuild, you would need to examine the mainshaft and replace the big seal, see if it will hold vacuum

100% you need a new reciever/drier

opinions vary but the expansion valve may or may not also need replacing