New 1990 VDP Owner

Sure. Don’t need to check for water/oil mixes, my gasket failed without a warning and I couldn’t see any blown spots. Let’s hope the cylinders and pistons make a good impression (and that the valves didn’t leave impressions).
Good time to clean things up and hopefully get somewhere.
Good luck!

This is off topic and a bit late, but as a newcomer myself, welcome to the forum . . . I just bought my first Jaguar, the one I always wanted . . . the XJ40 a week earlier. I absolutely love it! I am astounded how inexpensive these cars are, suggesting major under appreciation! So glad that you rescued this kitten rather than let it be parted out.

Yet…
gtjoey1314 having fun

The old girl has been moved into the garage, ready for bonnet removal to begin operation “cylinder head”

I’ve been busy nursing my grotesque finger back to health and working on the boat. As soon as I can allow time the process will commence.

I never give up.

Good for you! Every XJ40 kept on the road, and in good repair, is a victory for those of us that love them! We Jag-lovers are here for you!

1 Like

Mike_Stone, you make me proud to be a fellow XJ40 owner with that comment!!!

1 Like

Well, you might have all though I had given up! (and I had), but alas, I WILL pull this Cylinder Head with some spare time that we all have now :slight_smile:
Question, how the heck do I secure the timing chain sprockets? I don’t intend to remove the cams, I really just want to do an inspection of the gasket and valves before I put too much effort into it. My only real hangup is the timing chain and sprockets…is there a quick “how-to” with pictures that someone has already done? I tried to search but the one I found said the page no longer exists :frowning:

1 Like

I’m at the hospital at present with the wife but will try to look at my Haynes manual when I get home. Its been a good 10 years since I did the HG on my ‘40 and can’t for the life of me remember what I did with the cam sprockets, it’ll probably be patently clear once you get the cam cover off.
Just a note, the head bolts can be re-used twice before Jaguar recommend replacements so do not go purchasing new ones. Just make sure when you put the engine back together that you centre pop each bolt to indicate it has been out once.
If they are already centre popped it indicates that they have been out (the number of pops indicate re-use. 1 pop + second time in 2 pops = renew them)

Thanks! I have the manual too, I think if just remove the four bolts holding the gears to the cams, and then maybe zip tie the chain so it doesn’t move, I will be alright! I’m still set on TDC, I think a blown head gasket has caused complete compression loss in each cylinder…or the valves ALL got whacked!

Sean,
Don’t worry too much about the chain - providing you stop it falling down inside the timing cover

Just follow the instructions for valve timing with the #1 piston at TDC

A read of this thread may reassure you -

Thanks Bryan, that’s exactly the answer I was hoping for! Everything else looks pretty strait forward. I have the old girl parked under a big wood beam I plan to attach my hoist to.

Should be off this weekend now!