New 6 cyl engine blocks coming

This is the alloy block, right? Looks like they fall right on a plane bisecting the space between cylinders 3-4, 4-5 and 5-6. My guess is it changes resonant frequency, shortens the unbraced length. Reduces the probability of cracks.

Ill go wiff dat one.

:grimacing:

I wonder if there are ribs like that between 1#1 and #2, and #2 and #3 on the other side. I’d guess they are not on the side in the picture because of the starter location.

1 Like

Here’s the other side …

I’d go with something to do with resonant frequency. Apparently the V12 SOHC block rang like a bell after some changes around the time of the change to 6 litres. That’s why the extra cast cross-hatching was added.

I do have to ask why anyone in their right mind would buy a new cast-iron block from Jaguar when these are available for less money?

1 Like

Were I in the market, Id damn sure get the alloy block!

Greetings All,

Bought multiple aluminum blocks over twenty years ago. I was offered a deal, plus they were not finished machined.

I have machined and used one, no issues. Bought them at Hershey, split the buy with a friend of mine.

Luckily, I had another friend who was well versed in aluminum blocks due to his Aston Martin experience. Main bearings get a slightly different treatment regarding tolerances to compensate for block expanding at a higher rate.

1 Like

I have a 3.8L block sitting in my garage that is for sale for A LOT less than one of these new ones. It was pulled from a MK X with 66K miles. I had the block boiled and cylinders honed. Heck, I’ll even throw in the original internals minus the crank and oil pan. I just listed it in the Classified Section if anyone is interested.

Kevin