New aircon in 2+2

Ive just about finished my refurbishment and steering conversion(lhd to RHD) of my 69 manual 2+2
The last mechanical project was fitting the aircon unit.It origonally had the factory supplied condensor,compressor and evaporator.A new condensor and compressor was no problem but the evaporator a bit more challenging.I was hoping to use the origonal across the dash unit but by making the rhd conversion the steering column is now where the fan motor protrudes…replacing the fan motor with a slim 9 inch thermo fan was not the solution. I approached air con companies that supply complete retro units for both LHD and RHD,but they were not interested in selling the evaporator separately ,would only sell the complete package.
The hunt was on for a evaporator that would fit nicely in the passenger footwell and look the part,.
The local Australian company i dealt with wholesales nothing but aircon supplies for autos ,old and new.Everything ,Sanden SD5S14 compressor,14x18 condensor,evaporator,drier unit ALL hoses and fittings freight and GST costing AUS$1104.00.Crimping pliers were supplied for fittings so hoses were cut exactly to length as work proceeded.The origonal compressor mounting frame was utilised with the origonal belt tensionerThe space over the radio was made into a handy space for phones etc
Any advice needed was only a text away and exchange of a couple of the fittings no problem
If you convert the $1104 back to the pound or US$ for a kit like this makes it very reasonable
Happy to send a copy of invoice showing everything required for assistance to anyone thinking along these lines
Having trouble uploading the pics so ill post this for now and send some pics later(when the wife gets home)

1 Like

I’d love to see a purchase list. Heading down this road. Thanks

stancey@hotmail.com